Thread: Ilford Warmtone: Box to Box Variation

Ilford Warmtone: Box to Box Variation

I was printing today and had to open a more recent box of Ilford Glossy Warmtone to make two duplicates. The new box was probably about a year newer than the box from which I had been printing, and I was surprised at the difference in contrast levels between the two boxes. I print using a Beseler 45s color head, and I had to add about 20 units of magenta to compensate for the loss of contrast in the new box.

Have others experienced this? They're different lot numbers involved, so I wouldn't expect them to be exactly the same. But, I also wouldn't expect them to be that different.

I keep print descriptions for photos. But keeping track of contrast grade won't help with that kind of variability.

Re: Ilford Warmtone: Box to Box Variation

Paper changes as it ages, yes. But generally, it tends to lose contrast instead of gain it. Maybe there's an inverse-U-shaped relationship to it; I don't know for sure but it would seem odd to me and the difference does indeed seem quite large for such a small difference in age. Is it possible that the 'newer' box is in fact older and that it was stored for some time before it was shipped/sold to you?

Drew Wiley

I've never had an issue like that unless the paper was very old. But I always run a new test strip anytime I open a new box of paper working with the same
    image. From time to time, dichroic filters in a colorhead and matching filters over feedback sensors need to be gently cleaned. Sometimes bulbs shed some
    of their own reflective coating. Just pointing out the need to check entire systems from time to time. 20 CC's is quite a bit.

Easy solution..if you're doing edition printing but several boxes and put in freezer...it probably is a different emulsion batch..check it and see

It may be newer (to you), but you really don't know how long any box has been sitting at your supplier...

And even with good brands, there can be batch to batch variations to materials...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I've never had an issue like that unless the paper was very old. But I always run a new test strip anytime I open a new box of paper working with the same
    image. From time to time, dichroic filters in a colorhead and matching filters over feedback sensors need to be gently cleaned. Sometimes bulbs shed some
    of their own reflective coating. Just pointing out the need to check entire systems from time to time. 20 CC's is quite a bit.
    That's a good idea; I purchased this head years ago as used and have never cleaned the filters in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Paper changes as it ages, yes. But generally, it tends to lose contrast instead of gain it. Maybe there's an inverse-U-shaped relationship to it; I don't know for sure but it would seem odd to me and the difference does indeed seem quite large for such a small difference in age. Is it possible that the 'newer' box is in fact older and that it was stored for some time before it was shipped/sold to you?
    Learned something new here. Will keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    It may be newer (to you), but you really don't know how long any box has been sitting at your supplier...

And even with good brands, there can be batch to batch variations to materials...

Steve K
    This may well be the problem.

Given the expense, I tend to purchase one box at a time. This particular problem became apparent, because I had to open a "new" box to finish printing an image.

Thanks for all the responses.