Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Betterlight Scan Back Article

A New Betterlight Scan Back Article

Scott,

I noticed one of the link images was down on the site, however, the other two clearly show the Betterlight being more detailed than 4x5.....and the model tested has less than 80% of the rez of their top back. Perfect for product photography. However, that 300 iso image at 9 minutes pretty much rules out the back for another other than some architectural and product photos. At higher isos the scan times are much better.

Now if only my lotto numbers come up tonight, I'll be able to set this puppy up again and have the kids sit still for 9 minutes! ;-)

Dave Luttmann pretty much rules out the back for another other than some architectural
    Yep. It obviates any architectural work that has a sky with clouds (unless you like the Twilight Zone), traffic or important human figures. It ain't ready for prime time yet.

9 minutes is way out of line for a normal image. I'd say that 90% of my images are taken before the sun comes over the horizon, and with the new usb unit, the most i scan is about 2:30. For normal daylight photography, or a well lit interior, then 30 seconds will work. Granted, it's not a people, action or wildlife camera.. but i do just fine with landscape images. Again.. not for everyone.. and it does have its drawbacks.. but the color fidelity and detail is worth it for me.

jim

Hey Jim,

Seen your work on Outback Photo. I love the industrial images. Do you use one of these units on a regular basis? I've only been able to grab a couple of shots when a collegue was testing it for commercial product work.

Cheers,

thanks for the feedback.. appreciate any comments i can get.

i've switch back and forth between the betterlight and a 1dsmk 2 stitched (using a tilt shift lens). I have a long term love for the view camera, and am unwilling to let it go. The new Betterlight setup is a lot lighter and much more portable than the old. I've haued 8x10 around, and my 4x5 setup with betterlight is easier.

I've never considered large format to be an experience i need to hurry at, and since most of my images are done under overcast days, or before the sun rises.. i'm not all that worried about shifting light. Wind is a curse.. but then.. that's what i have the canon for :^)

I'm in the Santa Cruz area.. and if anyone ever wants to meet to share the 'experience'.. just let me know.

jim

i'm going to be doing a series of articles (in a diary type format) for the Outbackphoto site, on using the Betterlight back from the perspective of a landscape photographer. I'll be taking it to Cambodia and Thailand in October and that will be part of the series as well

Jim

For fine art applications, I still like film. But if BetterLight could some day manufacture a battery-powered digital back for view cameras that wouldn't have to be tethered to a computer and would cost a couple of hundred dollars, I would buy one.

There must be a simple formula for determing the scan time - I'd like to know what that is so I can determine for myself if the scan times are reasonable for what I want to do. The exposure value for a scene determines the base exposure based on the aperture I have to use. I'm assuming the scan time is then simply a factor of the number of scans required to make the image and the effective and useable (with quality) ISO of the scanner.

the line time can be considered equivalent to shutter speed. that's the exposure time for each row of pixels. multiply this by 8000 to get the total scan time (for a 6k back). With the new usb unit, the fastest scan time is 1/240 , which gives about 33 seconds. ISO can go to 3200. What i've found is that i still get extremely clean images at ISO 2400.

As far as a unit described above going for a couple hundred dollars.. that's not a very reasonable expectation.. so i guess what you're really trying to say is that you'd never buy one. (a polaroid film holder for a 4x5 goes for a couple hundred dollars)

jim