Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greater ease of use with tripod head?

Greater ease of use with tripod head?

I've been doing large format photography for about four years now. Before that I used a Horseman Technical 980 (6 x 9) with a Tilt-All Pro tripod I bought over 30 years ago, which I've found more than adequate for supporting my Toho FC-45X. The tripod weighs about 5 1/2 pounds, which is important to me because of herniated discs and spinal stenosis. I've done some comparisons, and it seems I can't do too much better in the weight department even with an expensive carbon fiber tripod and light head.

With increased used, I've become impatient with the effort required to level my camera just right. The tripod head tends to overcorrect when making small adjustments and I usually have to make several tries to get it where I want it. So I'm ready to consider spending quite a lot (for me) to get something which is light, at least no heavier than the Tilt-All, and which would improve the situation with respect precise control when levelling. Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric Biggerstaff

Loeonard,

You might consider a geared head. I use the Manfrotto/Bogen 405 (supports up 10 16.5 pounds) on my Gitzo CF and I really like it. Easy and fast to set up, easy to level, no big levers to snag on things, might be worth a look.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

From personal experience, I would highly recommend the style of the small, highly accurate Linhof pan/tilt head, were it not that their manufacturing costs have obviously gotten out of hand:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=31373&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Manfrotto, I believe, has something similar. But don't go for their large model - it is about the size and weight of a duckpin bowling ball.

Also, don't forget to look through the heads made for video. A braked, fluid movement is very smooth for minor movements with a heavy camera. These days as video cameras get smaller, the video heads are shrinking as well.

I use the Bogen Manfrotto 410 geared head and am very pleased with it. It weighs 2.75 lbs and supports 17 lbs, costs about $150. I'm not familiar with the 405 Bogen Manfrotto geared head that Eric mentions but since it supports only 10 lbs it might be lighter than the 410 and with your light weight camera you might not need the extra support of the 410. Regardless of the exact model, geared heads are great for the problem you're having with your present head.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

I second the Manfrotto 410. Real easy to fine tune and no locks!

The heads Brian and Eric refer to are the Manfrotto models I also recommended. I can't believe we are all in agreement on equipment for a change!

Notice the model 400, as the big bruiser I suggested avoiding.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=3&shs=&ci=141&ac=&Submit.x=11&Submit.y=9

Eric Biggerstaff

Sorry folks, I fat fingered some keys.

I use the 410 and it is GREAT.

This is stange, we all agree!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I sympathize, Leonard. Old age ain't for sissies.

I use the head shown above, the Ries. Most of the leveling is done at the tripod, and this finesses the rest very nicely.

See www.riestripod.com/headpics.htm#head3

Also a Tiltall fan. It may be that your Tiltall is just getting out of whack. I have a very old one that seemed to be getting harder and harder to level, and I think it was that one of the legs wasn't on quite straight. So I got a less old one in better condition (both Leitz versions), and it seems much more manageable.

You may consider adding a leveling head, which allows you to make fine corrections, like the Bogen, Gitzo, Linhof, or the recently introduced Levelhead. The gearhead mentioned above is also a handy solution.

Before I picked up my second Tiltall, I was looking into a replacement, and the carbon fiber Giottos Universal tripods looked attractive, and I believe they have some fine leveling control built in.

I have one of the original Tiltall's circal mid 1950's way before Leitz tookthem on and it is still going strong. However, I would not recommend using it for large or heavy cameras unless you have too. Back in the mid 1970's when it was the only tripod I owned and I was shooting with a Linhof Kardan Color S it was on that tripod and it worked ok .... wouldn't recommend the combo but it did work.

If I were going to make a choice today based on Leonard's specific physical concerns I would agree that the geared heads have a lot to offer. So, too, do some of the ball heads. I believe that properly handled the Acratech,for example can easily be leveled and easily adjusted with whatever degree of tensionyou prefer. As for the Ries 250 head illustrated above,it is a great head but to tighten either of the knobs sometimes requires more finger strengththan some of us with creaky bones may have.