Thread: Short, simple cable releas . . . NOT

Short, simple cable releas . . . NOT

Reviewing my 4x5b kit ahead of a family vacation. Decided that my current mix of broken and mismatched cable releases had to be replaced (at last). Looked on e-Bay and Amazon for short simple cables . . .can't fine any. All I could find were over 6" long and longer (much longer). All were covered in heavy plastic coated or chromed metal mesh.

I just wanted simple cables in the 3"-4" range with out a locking collar and hopefully for just a few bucks each. No such luck.

We are off and away soon and I will have to use what I have. . . .but GEEZE!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Short, simple cable releas . . . NOT

How's 14.95 plus shipping?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_Release.html

I own some 6" with the lock for my Mamiya C220f. I like them. They are long throw and will trip an Ilex shutter if you need it. I don't know of any 3"-4".

Depending on what's wrong with them, you might be able to revive a couple of "broken" cables yourself. I've "repaired" several shutter release cables that were too bent or corroded to work properly by either rebending them and/or lubricating them with silicone lube.

Other than that, I usually get mine off of eBay. I'm not so fond of the modern offerings that I've come across.

I do not know if this helps. I bought a lot of old, short, fabric covered releases to use on Super-Ikonta cameras and every single one from several sellers was aged to uselessness. I hope your quest is better. Today I would consider what Alan Gales suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    Depending on what's wrong with them, you might be able to revive a couple of "broken" cables yourself. I've "repaired" several shutter release cables that were too bent or corroded to work properly by either rebending them and/or lubricating them with silicone lube.

Other than that, I usually get mine off of eBay. I'm not so fond of the modern offerings that I've come across.
    Modern German ones or Chinese or Japanese ones? The Gepe ones are German, and very good!

Well I will be using four plastic covered releases I got off e-Bay; too long, heavy and complex for my use . . .but I will make do in the short run.

They were inexpensiver at ~$6 and probably from China. Don't want to fix anything, want new. S'OK for now.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Modern German ones or Chinese or Japanese ones? The Gepe ones are German, and very good!
    I mainly stick to German and Japanese. But I'm still talking used here. Those Gepe's look pretty nice and the price isn't bad. I would be tempted to give them a try as well. Maybe I will in the future. I'm not 100% against buying anything new. I've just been burnt enough times to make me overly cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    I mainly stick to German and Japanese. But I'm still talking used here. Those Gepe's look pretty nice and the price isn't bad. I would be tempted to give them a try as well. Maybe I will in the future. I'm not 100% against buying anything new. I've just been burnt enough times to make me overly cautious.
    After digital lowered film camera prices, I would buy 4x5 monorail kits as well as medium format camera kits and then part them out and sell them on Ebay. I would get cable releases quite often with the kits I bought. The cheap cable releases I would include in my auctions. I kept all the German Prontor releases that I came across. Prontor releases are very nice but are no longer made. They are long throw and will trip my Ilex #5 shutter. If you run across any Prontors at a fair price then buy them! For new you can't beat the Gepe releases which will also trip my Ilex shutter. I prefer the Prontor releases for my 8x10 but the shorter Gepe for medium format. That's just me though. Others may have a different opinion. If you buy the longer Gepe releases with locks the price does go up from the 14.95 price tag though.