Thread: Opinions please on Manfrotto 055MF3 legs

Opinions please on Manfrotto 055MF3 legs

Greetings!

I am considering switching from my current Manfrotto 3401B legs (Aluminum) to the 055MF3 carbon fiber 3 segment set that looks to be the same heft as my current set.

Can any users give me soem impressions of this leg set before I purchase?

Thanks

I've been using one form or another of the 055 legs for about - oh... since maybe 1984...! The aluminum version though. I really cannot vouch for the carbon fibre. Fan-F-ing-tastic! No problems ever. In my opinion one of the best thought out tripods ever. Just very nice and simple yet REALLY flexible in so many ways. Get one just to have around. I have. Definitely a 35mm or medium format tripod however.

Hi,
    Check out the Gitzo 1325, it is the most rigid tripod I have seen and I own about 10 of them..Evan Clarke

I am specifically interested in the Manfrotto models because of the levers that operate the legs. The twist feature of the Gitzo's hurts my arthritic hands. Any other users of the carbon fiber model?

Scott

Scott Davis

I have a set of the CF Bogen 443 legs. The lock mechanisms are similar to what you are referring to on the 055. The 443 is an amazing tripod - extremely light-weight, and will support successfully a much larger load than advertised (I put my Calumet C-1 Green Monster 8x10 camera on it without inflicting permanent injury to the tripod - I wouldn't recommend doing this on a regular basis however). I have taken my 443 with me to various and sundry rugged terrains foreign and domestic, and it has never let me down.

I have been using the carbon fiber 3443 legs with a light weight 4x5 hiking outfit since 1999, I think. The leg locks work fine and the bubble level in the yoke is accurate. I believe this tripod is about the same size as the one you are interested in. I am 6'3" and it is a little short for me. When I am near the car I always reach for a bigger tripod, but I am quite pleased with it for use on hikes. I have also used it in winter with a medium format camera and the snowshoe feet attachments.

Thanks for all your answers!

Scott