Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about switching to "exclusively" LF

Re: Thinking about switching to "exclusively" LF

One can take a deliberate approach in other formats. I gravitate to 4x5 most of all. But, I also have a strong affinity for medium format; there's something economical about it, what with more conveniently sized cameras, film takes up less room, advantages of multiple film holders, etc. So, I have a 6x9 view camera, plus a couple of other medium format cameras.

For color photography, I prefer digital and have an ancient Kodak SLR/c that, given enough light, produces excellent files. My lenses include 24mm and 35mm perspective control lenses. I almost never use this camera off a tripod; by the time I decide on perspective (camera position), composition, and exposure, it takes me a fair amount of time to "properly" expose an image. I also take multiple exposures, so that I can blend them for improved dynamic range later. Capturing images with this camera doesn't seem like that much different from using a view camera.

It seems like you're looking for some measure of logic in posting this thread. Logic can be comforting. But is logic really necessary? Go where gravity pulls you the strongest, whether it be with one or multiple formats or mediums. I think that's probably been my approach, and it's been rewarding.

+1 for BradS
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Oh boy, that is all too recognizable...

However, consider this: what was lost as a result of your urge to take a negative home that didn't meet your expectations when you examined it? A few cents' worth of film and developer? An hour of your time? It is not a zero sum game. (...) For me, there is no evil in shooting a negative too many. It makes me much sadder if I fail to shoot one I should have.
    I'm glad I'm not alone... Of course, no harm done in bringing home a "bad" negative, it is just that I am sort of worried that if prolonged it may result in loosing some part of the skill / habit / whatever and result in an unwelcome sloppiness... So this self-imposed exercise of mine is mainly meant to be a means of keeping not only my eyes open but also the "photograpic muscle" in reasonable shape...

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Why worry about it?
    Seriously, it's just not that big a deal....whether you make a "good" negative or not, whether you use a camera or a cell phone or you just go without, it just doesn't matter.
    Just get on with it and enjoy your life, do what you like, love even....don't do what you don't want to.
    Leave your socks right where you take 'em off and fail to clean up the toast crumbs for a day...
    Just be happy and don't fret about shit that, ultimately, does not mater.

Peace.
    Cheers I'm not sure my wife would agree about the socks, and the kids may pick up (yet another) bad habit from that... But as I said above - it is mainly about keeping the skill in shape... Of course I can take pictures with my cellphone, but there is no pleasure about it. I personally need to have the image in my hands to enjoy it...
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Do what makes you happy. A few worthless 120 negs are better than a few worthless 4x5 negs FWIW, I suffer from the "have to take home a negative" syndrome at the LF level. Sometimes I need to just make an exposure to get the creative juices flowing and the eye working; then the next set-up is more aligned with my vision.

As for strictly LF... Years ago I found myself with my MF camera on a tripod, cursing at it because it had no movements. I switched to LF and never looked back. I took out my TLR for a few handheld shots about 8 years ago. There's half a roll of unexposed film in it still; never have got around to shooting the rest of it nor developing what I took.
    Indeed, even in the past sometimes I had to just "somehow" make the first negative to get started, especially on a "big" location like some old monastery or similar... But what you say about lack of movements does resonate with me... I think it may be partly that reason why I think some of the MF negs "not good enough"... Quite often there is this prickly tought - "if I had a view camera with me I could correct this I could adapt to that..."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Sounds like using the MF camera has kept your wheels turning. That has been the case with me many times. For example, when I was a stay-at-home dad to a new set of triplet boys, time for LF photography was seriously curtailed, as well as any darkroom work. However I found that a Polaroid SX-70 camera and film kept me thinking photographically...and in a challenging and rewarding way. At least until the boys started to crawl and would no longer stay in one place long enough! Eventually, the Rolleiflex and the 8x10 could be used to and the boys could accompany me into the redwoods and become part of my photographic work.

Going with just LF for awhile is a great idea, if it keeps you centered that is a wonderful benefit -- but keep film in the MF cameras!

After 40 years of LF work and being thoughtful/selective before and after setting the camera up, my 'keeper' rate is not too bad. At the same time, I do not use a high rate to judge my success. If my keeper rate was very high, I would suspect myself of making too many safe images...not taking enough chances...not pushing forward.

Go for it!

Thank you for your words, Vaughn, much appreciated... keeping centered - that's the word I've been probably looking for..

Not sure why you have the need to make a decision to shoot LF exclusively. Just shoot it without preconception until you don't want to anymore.

Personally I find LF--for me 4x5--rather greatly different than photography in smaller formats. GG vs viewfinder, whether SLR or rangefinder. Some MF provides some of the experience of larger formats, I agree.

I also chime in to say that happiness is important. Maybe supreme. (If it isn't fun, drop it and do something else.) "Exclusively LF" is a discipline, nothing more. If it causes some interior distance from happiness, then drop the discipline.

My personal experience and personal opinion!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Creative constraints can guide one along a path of pleasant discoveries, away from distractions. Try it, and for longer than is comfortable so that you can know if you have chosen the wrong limits.

Example. Once after a disruptive move, I attended a photo workshop overseen by a well-known critic. I had no camera and no darkroom. An assignment was a self portrait. Horrors? Sure, but it was also a liberating experience. So what is photography? One view includes photograms but that was ruled out due to having no dark space at all. I did have a small oven dish, a few small sheets of paper, developer, fixer and water.

So I took the chance - in daylight I applied a thin layer of waterproof grease to my face and pressed the paper emulsion side to my face. It took several attempts and a few beers. Then developed the paper in a tray, rinsed and fixed it. Clearly, areas where there was grease on the emulsion did not develop. I washed only the most promising 'print'.

And here is my self-portrait!

We use to do that to the windows of Forest Service trucks -- as they drove up the dusty roads, a dust-face would start to appear on the window!

Great image, Jac!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3vW1kglEnk

Jim Brandenburg did not use a Large Format camera but I believe his journey can help with your clarifying what is important to you.

He set a project of one image a day. 90 days. One trip of the shutter, not shoot like hell and pick out one image from each day.

In many ways similar to what you say you want to do. So, watch it and take from it what you will. It is your time and effort and yourself you are trying to please as you photograph.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.