Thread: Formatt Firecrest ND in Lee holder?

Formatt Firecrest ND in Lee holder?

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 4x4" / 100mm square,. 13 stop / ND3.9 filter for an upcoming project, and am wondering if the Formatt Firecrest Ultra filters fit the Lee holders and hoods?

I see that both brands use 2mm thick glass, so think that should be no problem. I'm wondering also however about the gasket, and if the one included on the Formatt filter can be accommodated and forms a good seal when used with the Lee holder. I'd just a soon buy a Lee product, but they don't have a 13 stop filter, just 10 and 15 stop. I'm looking to do some ultra long exposures of around 8-12 hours, and think the 13 stop filter is probably the best starting point.

The other option is to go with a circular filter, but I'd prefer to be able to use my Lee hood.

Thanks in advance for the advise!

Tim

Re: Formatt Firecrest ND in Lee holder?

To ensure a good light seal, haver you considered a circular filter behind the threaded hood adapter, still using the Lee hood? This may introduce vignetting depending on your focal length... yada yada. For cinematography, I use an Arri Mattebox that has two filter slots, plus a circular filter holder and it's completely light tight. I really wish someone made a smaller version that was applicable to still cameras

Re: Formatt Firecrest ND in Lee holder?

Thanks Chris,

I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but great idea! I am going to research that, but think it sounds like just the ticket.