Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Nikkor-T 360mm with a Wista VX

Drew Wiley

Re: Thoughts on the Nikkor-T 360mm with a Wista VX

If you want something even a bit longer, don't forget the Fuji 400T. Its flange focal length is only 252mm and it's also a proven performer, and probably a bit more common than the Nikon tele.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Re: tilt - I generally don't use it with the teles, so can't really comment there. I will say the 270/6.3 is a great lens also, esp. nice for portraits.
    Thanks, Ed--I think that's pretty much the consensus. I'll have to figure out whether it will be more--or less--versatile than a Fuji 240A with the short bellows draw I'm working with, but I'm sure I'd be happy with either lens.

Ding, Ding, Ding...

Prefers Kodak EKtar, Xenar and similar at f4.5-f6.3 on 5x7 sheet film often enough. Resistance to stopping down to not more than f22. 5x7 or smaller sheet film will produce excellent image quality due to film being flatter in the holder than larger sheet film sized. The more curved-distorted sheet film sits in it film holder, the greater the problem of using large lens apertures.

Couple this with the precision and accuracy of GOOD monorail view camera and precise camera movements that allows enough image focus control to use larger lens apertures with excellent results. If the majority of the image area is focused to infinity or near infinity, using large lens apertures can often be a plus.

The Dogma and Orthodoxy of Group f64 and, "everything in the image must be SHARP." Has been broken after a good stint using soft focus lenses and GOOD Tessar lenses that produce nice selective focus images at larger apertures with eye pleasing out of focus image areas.

This applies to High contrast, perceived sharpness lenses to.

Matter of preference really and not much more..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post

Who on earth shoots view lenses at f/11 unless it's a soft-focus type? - who probably wouldn't like the rendering of an M anyway, but rather the gentler background blur of older tessars.
    Last edited by Bernice Loui; 1-Aug-2018 at 08:22.

Beyond the Nikkor 360mm_T, There is the Fujinon 400mm_T (already mentioned) and Schneider 360mm Tele Xenar.. which some do not like do to it's lower image contrast.

Keep in mind tele view lenses do reduce bellows length requirements, do behave non-standard if camera movements are applied.

Previously discussed, de-volved into a image circle _ _ _ _ !
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=fujinon+400T

Bernice

I have the 360 Nikkor with all the rear elements (360, 500, 720mm) and use the 360 and 500 on my Technika and all of them on my 5 x 7. The Technika is fine with the weight. (I used a Nikkor T 600 on it once - only problem was wiggling the rear element through the little hole)

I have absolutely no complaint about the T 360. It's quite sharp. In fact surprisingly sharp. Great lens. I have a 360 Xenar and it's not even close.

Higher contrast of the Nikkor which can easily appear to be "sharper" or lower contrast of the Tele Xenar (granted this was a water version of Tele Xenar, still) which can easily appear as not sharp.

Been there done this with the 600T Nikkor, kept the Tele Xenar. Different image goals.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I have the 360 Nikkor with all the rear elements (360, 500, 720mm) and use the 360 and 500 on my Technika and all of them on my 5 x 7. The Technika is fine with the weight. (I used a Nikkor T 600 on it once - only problem was wiggling the rear element through the little hole)

I have absolutely no complaint about the T 360. It's quite sharp. In fact surprisingly sharp. Great lens. I have a 360 Xenar and it's not even close.

I'd agree that the Nikkor is probably contrastier. For some things I like that. For others I still have the Xenar...

Having used both, the Nikkor has higher contrast than the Tele Xenar. IMO, neither is superior, they have a different image result.

Which one could be preferred, really depends on the needs of the artist-image maker.

Difficulty is, there is no real way to know until a specific lens is used within the environment of the artist-image maker.

All I'm really saying is not to rule out any lens (production lens to lens variations can and does happen along with what might have happened to any given lens over its lifetime) until it has been used-tried out for a while to see if the personalities involved fit.

Bernice

Drew Wiley

My brother used a 360 Tele-Xenar on his Techika, but never for color work. It was considered "uncorrected" for color. And he sold Linhof and Schneider at the time to very demanding pros. Something to keep in mind. Indeed, certain lenses can be ruled out up front - in this case, if color shots are intended. And I don't know why Fuji isn't kept alive in the list of contenders; there's nothing second-rate about their own teles.

All this talk about tele lenses is getting to the point where it's tempting me to put the 360 Xenar and 360 Nikkor on the Technika and make some photos. I hate to admit it but the last couple of months I've been doing mostly MF - sort of practicing for our upcoming "grand tour" of Europe - well at least PARTS of Europe (Palermo, Venice, St Malo/Mt St Michel. Paris, NW Spain, and an overnight on the Orient Express.)