Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod questions, chamonix 045N-2, hiking

Re: Tripod questions, chamonix 045N-2, hiking

I use a now discontinued Gitzo carbon fiber 3530S which was the 3 section legs (only two locks each leg) that came without a center column, just that round plate that you can directly screw on the arca Z1, (which I also use, and don't plan to ever part with). I think the closest equivalent they sell now is this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._ser_3_3s.html

It only goes up to 50 inches high, which depending on your height can be a little low, and I guess it's only a tad lighter than the manfrotto you have now. But I found the height was perfect for me with a 5x7 Deardorff (the camera adds the needed height), I'm 5'11".

It's super stable and while I usually prefer to use the center column (which I picked up years later) when hiking for ultimate pared down set up it's pretty good. I think this would be way more stable than what you are using now, and IMO a stable tripod does much more for sharper negs than any APO glass does. I would never go back to using a tripod that had more than 2 leg locks after using this for 10 years.

Drew may also have a point about the head. It weighs a lot, and although I love it and always use it when I hike or travel, (I use plain old Bogen 4047 3- way when in town) if I was setting up a camping minimalist tripod I'd look into just using a leveling base. ( although I think he does use a tripod?)

I remember finding one on the web several years ago that looked fantastic, think it was some obscure swiss or European company, it had two tightening knobs instead of the usual one but looked rock solid and ultralight, can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

When I ordered the Novoflex Triobalance with 4 section carbon fiber legs I thought it was going to be a little short for an SLR at eye level (I'm 5'10") but I found on level ground I don't extend the legs all of the way. It is just short of 22" when collapsed so it will just barely fit inside of U.S. carry on luggage.

When my Novoflex was brand new, the legs seemed to require unscrewing the locks further than a Gitzo requires. As it's aged the legs seem to slide through the leg locks easier.

The quality and finish seems to be pretty comparable to RRS which IMO is somewhat better than Gitzo. Note, a 2 series RRS uses larger diameter CF tubes than either the Novoflex or 2 series Gitzo.

With the Novoflex fitting inside of carry on luggage and being tall enough with no center column, it is a favorite.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Meekyman View Post
    Thanks Greg and Jeff.

I've not heard of Novoflex. Are they pretty stable and not gimmicky?

Cheers

Graham
    Have owned several Novoflex items over the years and all have been of a high level of design and construction. "Gimmicky" would not be a work to describe Novoflex equipment in my opinion.

Drew Wiley

Just bolt your camera via a turnbolt directly to a tripod platform top. Some CF tripods need the top slightly modified to create a good platform (I've done it with both Gitzo and Feisol CF's.) Ries wooden tripods come that way standard, so you can look at the picture of one of those to get the concept. After that, it just takes a little practice to learn how to quickly manipulate the legs themselves using no head. It's how early surveyors routinely did it for over a hundred years, often in very precarious places, prior to modern self-leveling theodolites. Otherwise, the problem with too light a tripod in combination with a lighwt field camera is that the whole system can be affected by wind. For your camera, I wouldn't personally want a tripod less than 3lbs (about 1.5kg). Of course you can add rock wt to it using a hanging sack. But once the tripods themselves employ excessively thin tubing sections, you get torsional flexing. Advertised static weight capacity can be misleading.

Good to see you are still getting out there, Graham.

For really light weight trips I use an Old Silk Pro 713CF II (centre column removed) that I picked up cheaply years ago. Combined with a FLM CB-32 (350g) ball head, it comes in a shade over 1.5kg. I comfortably run my Toho on this and even an Arca-Swiss monorail at a pinch. The big drawback is the lack of height at 135cm. The trade-off for lighter weight will invariably be things like maximum height and stability (and you're bank balance.

I also do lots of close up work with the camera near to or pointed at the ground so I regard a ball head as being essential. YMMV.

If you really want to pare down the weight look across the board at everything you are carrying, as my hiking mates always remind me, it all adds up. For instance, a smaller ball head will be half the weight of your Arca-Swiss but still handle the Chamonix on an appropriate ‘pod.

All the best

Thanks everyone - Drew, Jeff, Greg, Chester, Mark and others for taking the time to reply.

I was thinking about your suggestion Drew of just using the legs alone, maybe with a levelling base, and, like Mark, I do a lot with the camera pointed at or near to the ground. Just don't think it would work for me. I can fully understand the benefits, but can imagine having to forever to be fiddling with the tripod legs. I'd never heard of Novoflex. I'm going to look into their products a bit.

Drew, I understand about torsional flexibility and that's wy I don't want to go too thin on the tubing sections. Any idea of what is "excessively thin" tubing?

Mark - it's still good to be getting out! I take your point about looking across the board in terms of camping kit. I realise I can shave a few hundred grams inexpensively, and will do that, but I already have a lightweight tent, sleeping system and the rucksack has some weight to it so that I can carry the weight I am. After that it's down to the tripod/ball head. Any views on the Markins q3i - seems rated for 30 Kg and only weights 375g, saving me 300g.

https://www.photoproshop.com/Tripod-...3i-Emille.html

Cheers

Graham

Interesting you mention the Markins Q3. I've had one for over ten years, it used to live on my Silk 'pod before the FLM. It now resides on a Gitzo series 2. So far no issues and it works as well today as the first day I used it. Personally I'd take the 30kg rating with a grain of salt but I have used mine with couple of different 8x10 camera so your Chamonix would be fine.

Regarding saving weight on hiking gear, I carried a new 70l pack on a week long trip in South West Tasmania in March. It weighs 1kg less than my regular 90l pack but I still managed to have a starting weight of about 25kg including 3 litres of water onboard. Not light by any means!

Foamer

I've been using a Feisol 3441T carbon fiber tripod for the past year with my Chamnonix 045n, along with either an AcraTech Ultimate ballhead or a PhotoClam. The tripod extends to eye level without a center column. (I don't like center columns.) The set up is sturdy enough but I stay within reach when it's windy. I'm out in pretty rough weather and conditions and the Feisol has held up well. I also have a Gitzo 1325 tripod for heavier duty. I use the Feisol for hiking in the mountains and airline travel. I've been happy with it. I researched tripods a year & half ago as I wanted something lighter to hike with, and came to the conclusion that the Feisol was my best combination of cost and performance.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've been using a Feisol 3441T carbon fiber tripod for the past year with my Chamnonix 045n, along with either an AcraTech Ultimate ballhead or a PhotoClam. The tripod extends to eye level without a center column. (I don't like center columns.) The set up is sturdy enough but I stay within reach when it's windy. I'm out in pretty rough weather and conditions and the Feisol has held up well. I also have a Gitzo 1325 tripod for heavier duty. I use the Feisol for hiking in the mountains and airline travel. I've been happy with it. I researched tripods a year & half ago as I wanted something lighter to hike with, and came to the conclusion that the Feisol was my best combination of cost and performance.

Kent in SD
    I have been recently thinkig about a feisol as well - I have a 3 series gitzo that I use on day-hikes, but it would be nigh on impossible to take it on a plane.. I have been looking at the same feisol but the whole idea of center column sort of scares me with the LF. I have been thinking more in the lines of feisol CT 3401 without ANY center column thing. It folds uner 50cm which would fit a carry-on trolley or a backpack I think...
    Anyone any experience with this particular tripod?
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Anyone any experience with this particular tripod?

I took the center column out of my Feisol 3441T--it's tall enough I just didn't need it. Camera is at eye level without it. tripod came with an insert (about an inch high) that has a mounting plate on it. I've never used the center column. Tripod folds up to fits in even my small carry-on bag.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!