Thread: Mounting 8x10 Korona View to Majestic Tripod and Head

Mounting 8x10 Korona View to Majestic Tripod and Head

Does the Korona get screwed straight into the head? Why I am mentally struggling with this, I’m not sure. Maybe because it’s my first attempt with an 8x10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Mounting 8x10 Korona View to Majestic Tripod and Head

Yes, use the screw that comes with the Majestic head and into the base of the Korona. However, Koronas are wobbly [had an 8X10 and still have a 7X17 Korona], especially if needing some bellows extension. I made a board same width as Korona base and several inches longer than the base. Screwed Majestic head into board, then screwed board into Korona base. Provides some support for the extension rails [front and rear].
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I have owned an 8x10 and 7x17. Neither was "wobbly" if I was careful insure all wood screws were firmly n place. My current 5x12 is the most firm wooden Korona large camera I have ever owned.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An 8x10 Korona may be wobbly if it is missing the support arms that mount underneath the mounting plate and extension rail. The metal slots for these support arms can be found on the bottom of the mounting plate and the bottom of the extension rail. These support arms are frequently missing when someone acquires a Korona 8x10. You can see a complete Korona 8x10 camera set-up that includes these support arms that is listed on a popular auction site this week if you search there for Korona 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Largewoody View Post
    An 8x10 Korona may be wobbly if it is missing the support arms that mount underneath the mounting plate and extension rail. The metal slots for these support arms can be found on the bottom of the mounting plate and the bottom of the extension rail. These support arms are frequently missing when someone acquires a Korona 8x10. You can see a complete Korona 8x10 camera set-up that includes these support arms that is listed on a popular auction site this week if you search there for Korona 8x10.
    The support arms look relatively easy to fabricate. Thanks for the suggestion.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I had problems with my Korona wanting to rotate on the head of my tripod. I went to Home Depot and got some adhesive strips of gritty material used to make stair treads safe and stuck them on the bottom of the camera. Problem solved.