Thread: Help - Beseler Dichro DG-1 dial/cam cable replacement

Help - Beseler Dichro DG-1 dial/cam cable replacement

I snapped the dial steel cable on my Beseler DG-1.

Problem 1: I contacted KHB Photografix and they never stocked replacement cables. What can I use for replacement? I've contemplated on guitar strings, fishing line, and copper wire but would like to prevent it from snapping again. I'm not sure how much tension these cables are suppose to hold. (I'm thinking of old radio tuner cable/pulley systems.)

Problem 2: I checked my manual and it doesn't have a diagram of the pulley system. Also, KHB does not have a repair manual for this color head. Anyone have a diagram available?

I sent a message to the Beseler factory for assistance on parts replacement and a routing diagram - no word yet. What's interesting is that their website doesn't seem to have any information on the DG-1 Color Head.

I'm contemplating on getting another head on e bay and giving this one up for "ghost"; but this color head is 99% use-able and spending a few bucks for home repair instead of a $100 for a replacement or the cost of having someone repair it makes the wife happy.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Re: Help - Beseler Dichro DG-1 dial/cam cable replacement

Can't help you much, but you didn't mention bicycle shops. Might be a good place to look for steel cables.

The factory messaged back and unfortunately they have no records of the DG-1. None, not even a picture (hard to fathom as there are plenty online). They did kindly offer to find potential cables from their stock that might be similar if I send them a photo of the color head. I might just send them a pdf copy of my manual so they one in the their archives.

The diameter of the cables are about .023", I think I can use a guitar string and try to fix it myself when time permits. I'll document and share.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

loujon

I'm surprised your surprised as the DG 1 is probably 40-50 years old and certainly NOT the latest Dichroic heads by Beseler. They have been through several redesigned and upgraded Dichroic heads by the 1990's

Indeed!

More suprising their e mail signature touts they have a sister company that offers office furnishings (http://www.toledofurniture.com/). One of their custom work is dark room builds (http://www.toledofurniture.com/custom-toledo-furniture/).

Now an enlarger is just a box, bellows, and a lens - with their furniture expertise it's not far fetch for them to make view cameras or perhaps take over a certain Chicago company that flourished using prohibition bar wood; some people make lemons from lemonade. Ahhh...the Volstead Act!

(I dream of course. Support Made in USA! )