Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waterfalls in Oregon Or How Many Holder to Take On a Day Hike

Re: Waterfalls in Oregon Or How Many Holder to Take On a Day Hike

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    I'd hate to not bring color and then find some place it might work, though, but maybe I'll just keep some color it in the car and instead focus on black and white. If I'm brave enough I could bust out the camera closer to the city and I'd imagine color might work well there (as would BW).
    Who said you couldn't do color if you only bring the 4x5? Load a couple holders with color film. Couldn't be easier.

Drew Wiley

I thought reflections are the name of the game! Why would I want the sparkle removed? I like my water with as much shine as an FBI agent's wing-tip shoes.
    (Gosh, wonder where they still buy those things? Must be a special shoe store inside FBI headquarters.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Polarizer?? Shame on you, Vaughn. Your Sasquatch license could be revoked for saying something like that!
    Well, I don't I actually own one, but my cousin Vinny told me about them.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I was there last year (Columbia Valley.) I didn't bother with lenses/cameras that couldn't shift. I used a Chamonix 045n and a 24mm PC-E lens on my Nikon D800E.
    Kent in SD
    I was there last year and it was one fire... Out of curiosity what lens/format did you use to get that image (for next time...)
    Cheers Shane

Indeed I was going to bring a high transmission CP to have in case at least for the 150mm. I was thinking both about the leaves and wanted to have it available in case I didn't want any reflections off the water (though I might want those, I guess I'll have to see when I get there!) Still might grab an 81B maybe to experiment. For color negative I have some room for changing the white balance in post, but for slide I definitely like the pursuits of getting it right "in camera".

Based on the convos above, I've got my holders down to 6 - 1 Velvia, 1 Ektar, 1 IR, 1 HP5, 2 TMX. I might swap the HP5 and TMX count but haven't decided yet (or maybe I leave the IR in the car). But if the above distribution is really off, I can make a run back to the car where I can have some extra holders loaded and ready to go.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    I was there last year and it was one fire... Out of curiosity what lens/format did you use to get that image (for next time...)
    Camera was a Chamonix 045n. Film was Ilford FP4. Lens was a Derogy Petzval, about 5 inch, shot wide open with 1 second exposure (using ND filters.) Lens was made 1bout 1858 so no shutter. I pretty much only shoot lenses made before 1860, or 1900-1925.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Foamer

I thought reflections are the name of the game! Why would I want the sparkle removed? I like my water with as much shine as an FBI agent's wing-tip shoes.
    (Gosh, wonder where they still buy those things? Must be a special shoe store inside FBI headquarters.)

The sparkle is still there. The polarizer gets rid of the glare and helps to saturate the colors. It also can get rid of the surface glare so you can see the rocks etc. under the water. Using lens movement (shift) I can take two shots (upper & lower) and then stitch them in CC with no distortion.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ORwakeenahF2m.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

Glare, light, sparkle, life, reality. I try to avoid stitching. Best way to prevent stitches, casts, and crutches is to not fall off the trail.

Drew Wiley

Color balance is especially important to correct at the time of the shot with Ektar color neg film. It's a myth that every aspect of this problem can be post-corrected. I don't have time to explain the technical reason now; but carry an 81a filter or maybe even 81b if you are in deep blue shade.

Color balance is especially important to correct at the time of the shot with Ektar color neg film. It's a myth that every aspect of this problem can be post-corrected. I don't have time to explain the technical reason now; but carry an 81a filter or maybe even 81b if you are in deep blue shade.
    Yep I'm thinking of picking one up because, once I thought about it, I've definitely run into that before. On a few shots they were happy accidents as the purple/blue cast ended up making the photo look awesome! But I think in this context those blue hues would be undesirable. For whatever reason, I do seem to have more trouble color correcting 4x5 Ektar negatives than I do at 35mm (and mostly in 120). Same scanner so maybe it's just my compositions but it's been a challenge. In fact my last hiking trip I had lots of (undesirable) blues in the shadows that made getting the right white balance difficult. Wish I had thought about an 81 filter at the time.