Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternatives To Grain Focusing Loupe?

Re: Alternatives To Grain Focusing Loupe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    How would you make it adjust to show the focus at the paper position?
    It does have auto-focus like the normal camera mode. Don't know if it is sensitive enough to look at the grain and focus on it. So might have to find a an edge or something to provide an adequate contrast. I have no idea how effective it will be compared to the grain focus loupe, though. Just a thought. No guarantees...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted R View Post
    One of the advantages of the "PEAK" type is that it works all over the baseboard which allows corner focus to be checked, most of the fixed and inexpensive focusers operate only in the center.
    The long mirror version does that. Take care with the small mirror model. FWIW, my last Peak was used and heavily discounted due to a scratched mirror which is fine because replacement mirrors are still available, reasonably priced, and child-play to replace. (The mirror has a hinged protective cover which is good because it is a surface mirror.)

I've gone through several. I came across a box of them a while back and kept the best and sold the rest. My favorite of the group was the Bogen Super Sharp. It had the highest magnification of the bunch, making the grain easier to see. It also was sturdy, well built, and easy to use. Although I will say the tall Patterson grain focuser I had was nice for saving your back. But sometimes it was too tall to be useful, and I didn't feel the need to own two focuser. I've never used a PEAK grain focuser, as they're often much more costly, and I get by fine with my Bogen. So long as my enlarger is aligned properly, I don't feel the need to check the corners.

And in all honesty, I don't think I really NEED any grain focuser. I focus by sight with my bare eyes first, and then confirm focus with the grain focuser. I'm rarely off. It's just like focusing a manual focus camera. It can be hard to tell if you're in focus, but if you pull it slightly out of focus both ways, it's not too hard to figure out where the image is sharpest. Now if your eyes are bad, then you probably need one. But if the light looks in focus to you with your head just a few inches away, then the print will look in focus to you with head just a few inches away. Of course since I already own a grain focuser (which didn't cost me a dime after I sold the others off), I don't mind spending the extra 30 seconds to double check. But if I didn't own one, I wouldn't miss it. So I'd say the best alternative to a grain focuser is no grain focuser, assuming your eyesight and technique are good.

I really like the +4/+5 reading glasses idea! I am going to try that one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    I am looking for an alternative to a grain focusing loupe when making my enlargements.
    Any clever ideas for an alternative to the loupe?
    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry, hope the attached photo could help.
    No need to lean down much, unless you have near sightedness. If so, wear your eye glasses. Focussing with viewers is not that super easy, but it could really help.
    Do not know about really big enlarging, say 10X from 4X5.
    Also, Paterson grain focuser, is about 30-33cm high over the paper surface.
    BTW, I think, Kaiser Focuscop, is shorter than LPL Viewer.
    Good luck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	181274

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------