Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a thread for black and white images?

Re: Is there a thread for black and white images?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    That's fine! If and when you're comfortable doing so, consider doing some "thinking out loud" here - perhaps a bit of shared brainstorming would help in fleshing out the scope of an "understanding B&W" or "working with B&W" thread that many would find rewarding.
    I agree.

Put some parameters around your thread if you create it.

By black and white do you mean monochromatic grays vs toned/photoshop tones? shot in black and white vs converted color?
    Film and scan: scene capture/process has purposeful variance from normal vs computer alteration for the displayed images?
    wetplate/alternative/alternative printing ?
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Put some parameters around your thread if you create it.

By black and white do you mean monochromatic grays vs toned/photoshop tones? shot in black and white vs converted color?
    Film and scan: scene capture/process has purposeful variance from normal vs computer alteration for the displayed images?
    wetplate/alternative/alternative printing ?
    Will keep this in mind. Good ideas.

Now that I have some time, I am thinking of something along the lines of the following:

1. What is black and white? Ie, is it simply just the absence of color?
    2. Black and white styles, techniques, developing, scanning, printing, etc
    3. Black and white Architecture, portraits, landscapes as fine art
    4. How to compose, light, expose for black and white
    5. Digital techniques to process analog film
    6. Links to b/w photographers like Joel Tjintjelaar and others
    7. What is your vision? How do you see in bw and how have you evolved as a bw artist?

The idea would be for a thread where someone could come to and learn about b/w thru discussion, sharing of work, techniques, what is every ones vision of black and white. I think that just because b/w is cheaper than color film and more available some have used that as an excuse as to why they shoot in b/w (my opinion)

For the vision aspect of B/W forum subject, it could be something like below. If we create a new forum topic for BW, I would certainly spend some more time in writing about what my vision is. All brainstorming on what members would like to have in a topic dedicated to mf/lf/ulf black and white is welcome. The idea is to learn, provide discussion on techniques from A-Z, printing, developing, scanning, etc.

I hope we can make this work.

For me, b/w is more than the absence of color. B/W removes the distraction of color, ie information overload, it provides a way of seeing an image as more. Every time I develop a black and white image, I am surprised by how much more detail and form there is than when I first saw the image. It is more than, well this image sucks in color so I will convert it to bw or I will take color, convert it to bw. You have to see in black and white and know what it is exactly that you want to create at the time of capture. Not pre-ordain the shot (some call it pre-visualization), but know what your vision is and compose the scene when you have decided what that scene will be. I almost instinctively know when I see a scene that it will be black and white and I see it that way, I even see the composition before I even get out of the car or get my back pack off. I just know. Sometimes though, that doesn't work.

Take the human body as an example. I used to be a body builder and would compete and when I saw a color image of a contestant, it didn't matter how good they were, it just didn't do his/her physique justice. But see that image in black and white and all of a sudden, all the hidden nuances of the body became visible in dramatic fashion. The way the light played on the subject and how it highlighted and cast shadows revealed everything in a way color could not. It is the same for landscapes, architecture, fine art, etc.

For me, black and white is more than just two shades, black and white. It is about the subtleties of the image as they vary from one tone to the next. It is about he shape of the subject, the lines, geometry, the way the light plays on the subject of the image. Sometimes it is the absence of such detail that is important to a a bw. I have observed many images in "bw", and they are truly black and white, almost no in-between. Details get lost, they are almost all high key and everyone prints on glossy paper.

I am moving away from the digital back to the analog, waiting to get to contact printing, enlarger printing, pt/pd etc. But I also use technology and will stay with it when it makes sense and allows me to achieve my vision. My vision though is still evolving as I learn what my vision truly is.

Is B&W only what you really mean.

What about dark brown & white?

Toning. Wet prints only. Inkjet?

Read this. https://luminous-landscape.com/duotone/

Color images I find garish. I prefer B&W TV and films (movies).

Born in 1951 most images, prints were B&W. I became acclimated.

I once tried a thread that was images only. No text wanted. No comments. I like images and most Art without explanation. I try to not read the little signs in museums.

It died.

Pictures are worth 1000 words...
    Tin Can

For b/w I would consider the different aspects of it as a fair topic. Essentially the techniques employed by the photgoraphers of the old world, up to present. So, Sepia, Selenium, duo-tone, etc is acceptable. Methods of taking the image like wet plates, paper neg, inkjet, wet prints, etc are also acceptable. My thoughts, are so long as it is not a color image, but an image made based on b/w/monochrome, is acceptable. Could be a color image taken with the purpose of creating a b/w image is acceptable as well. Nice article. I would say when applying a duo-tone or tri-tone, it should be based on the "old" world way of doing such a thing (of course, I don't know enough yet to know if photographers of say the early 1900's or late 1800's used duo/tri tones for images.

One interesting topic could be on just toning of prints and negatives. Like Selinium toning of negatives is used to increase the contrast without increasing development time based on some reading I have done.

The new forum topic can really be about anything monochrome/bw, from what is it in a technical aspect to what is it in a holistic/esoteric, etc sense. Techniques to do anything and everything from film/camera/lens/lighting choice, to developing techniques, toning of prints and negatives (wet/digital/etc), to each person's vision for this format.

I was born in 1961, but for movies, I prefer color, but not in your face color. For documenteries, I prefer b/w. I am wierd