Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Approaches to the rain

Re: Approaches to the rain

Buy a VW or Chrysler or other van with a sliding side door. Set up the camera on the tripod inside out of the rain after parking with the open door facing your subject. You keep dry, listen to the radio, sip your soda pop, trip the shutter and then drive off. May not be too good for subjects very far off the road.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I have lifted up the back door of my EuroVan and have set the camera under that -- for both rain and to make shade
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

What is a road?

Its what a roadrunner runs on.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

My dark cloth is water resistant, and has covered my Burke & James 5x7 a few times without any issues

Drew Wiley

Yes, I remember roadrunners, running across the road. But I had the choice of either walking a mile barefoot on that hot paved road to get an ice cream bar,
    or doing it barefoot on sharp stickers through the fields. Many years after, office gals gave me a stuffed little Wile E. Coyote mascot for my desk, for obvious reasons; so I guess that makes me a presumed expert on roadrunners.

Large size backpack rain cover. Will cover 4x5 camera as well as my head while composing, focusing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img593.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	180835

Buy an umbrella?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I use a clamping golf umbrella for 8x10 : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHJFSV7...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I use a compact umbrella with this clamp for 4x5 : https://www.amazon.com/Selens-Camera...SIN=B01F8I4MPM

Neither work great in the wind (but neither does my LF gear), but it saves you from having to work under more cloth.

Drew Wiley

What on earth do you clamp it to? Hopefully not the tripod ! The bellows already have enough wind resistance to shake an exposure without something like that added. Carrying an umbrella and holding it some other way might work in a gentle rain (I've done it); but then your hands aren't really free for camera work itself, and any serious gust of wind risks everything landing in a puddle. I do lots of shooting in the rain and worse, and already outlined my strategy using a big Goretex darkcloth supplemented with velcro tabs and simple clothespins (never corner weights !!!). But one of those new oversized backpacking ponchos might indeed do the trick. I haven't carried a poncho since I was young. But they were once standard gear in the mountains and doubled as an emergency mini-tent.