Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration and Youtube

Re: Inspiration and Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    Can you post a link to the videos? I am interested other people rambling in this thread might be too
    www.alternativephotoservices.com go to the bottom of the page and you will see the Youtube Icon, or go to Youtube.com google my name and my propaganda will come up

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    www.alternativephotoservices.com go to the bottom of the page and you will see the Youtube Icon, or go to Youtube.com google my name and my propaganda will come up
    Thanks, I found them.

And thanks everybody, this has been by far the most useful forum thread I've ever created. Well at least for me!
    I like that this forum doesn't have all that crap of likes/helpfulness etc
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by hornstenj View Post
    “Where did you get your imagination? If you had to guess what would you say?” -Lynda Barry, Syllabus: Notes From an Accidental Professor

going further with ...
    I don't know where I got my imagination, but I know where I get my inspiration. From the work of others.

You know, I am a scientist for work, and every time I discuss something or write about something, I need to give due credit to those who came before me, to the state of the art, to the previous ideas that give sense to my new ideas and are the roots of my new work. This does not seem to be the case in art, where the same thing is called copying?

All right I'm going off topic, gone

Les

Ha. Love to say that I have developed my own style. Yes, but that would be bit disingenuous, since I (and many others) tend to stand on the shoulders of others. It might be bits and pieces from magazine work, gallery, museums, friends and myriad of artists out there. Well, it's like, at least in my case, what would I do to make this visual better/different or more interesting ....and actual "copying" doesn't even enter into the equation. Just my two centavos.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    You don't learn large format through a video. You learn by hands on experience...Ben Horne videos are for arm chair photographers who never leave home. I could teach you more on 2 days about l.f. than you could learn in 5 years...no one seems to be willing to shell out the cash to learn. But YouTube videos are free..right??

With the videos, my goal is to show the actual experience of getting out there, and finding subjects. They aren't meant as tutorials, which is why I don't get into the technical stuff. I call them video journals as opposed to vlogs because I honestly don't create them as entertainment. I treat them as a written journal where I share my honest thoughts on the experience — the good, the bad, the mediocre. They are something I can look back on at a later date and see where I have come from, much the same as why people keep a written journal. My philosophy is to lead by example and show what is possible, as opposed to simply talking about technical stuff. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by the videos being "for arm chair photographers who never leave home" but everyone is entitled to their opinion. :-)

I've only been taking LF for a few years, but would be lost without the knowledge learnt from youtube vids. Fred Newman taught me how to use movements, and many others have taught me how to use a light meter and the like. Coming from a small rural town in Australia there aren't any mentors or workshops. To be truthfull there arent that many of us in the state! I would be lost without the knowledge base on you tube. I salute those that take the time to record their misadventures so I might learn

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    With the videos, my goal is to show the actual experience of getting out there, and finding subjects. They aren't meant as tutorials, which is why I don't get into the technical stuff. I call them video journals as opposed to vlogs because I honestly don't create them as entertainment. I treat them as a written journal where I share my honest thoughts on the experience — the good, the bad, the mediocre. They are something I can look back on at a later date and see where I have come from, much the same as why people keep a written journal. My philosophy is to lead by example and show what is possible, as opposed to simply talking about technical stuff. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by the videos being "for arm chair photographers who never leave home" but everyone is entitled to their opinion. :-)
    Well,
    I have to say that I learned more from your videos than from any tutorial. Especially the bad, the struggle, and the wait times, as andrewch59 is saying. This is overlooked by many flashy tutorial-videos, but it is much part of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    100% agreement.

I hope you can occasionally share images here, even if you've featured them elsewhere.

And if you tackled a problem to get the shot, no matter how small, a lot of landscapers here would listen to your experience and find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The more interest generated in LF the more people willing to take the bait and run with it. The more cameras and film bought, the more of a market there will be for cameras and film and the more cameras and film will be manufactured.
    That's a good thing!
    I can't begrudge anyone finding inspiration from Youtubes even though it isn't hands on.
    Finding inspiration should be encouraged, not discouraged.
    Then go out and buy yourself a view camera and some film

I absolutely agree with you on that. It's great if more interest is generated. YouTube videos might just be the first step, which could lead to try it hands on.