Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspiration and Youtube

Re: Inspiration and Youtube

Uh, Richard Simmons? Did he write one, too? :-D

Robert

Marco Fantin

It had been great fun reading your stories. I personally got into large format after obtaining an (illegal) copy of "The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum, and being fascinated by the process and amazed by the possibilities. Short after getting my camera I had to quit because of work issues--some general laziness was also involved, though. At the time I was doing everything in my darkroom in Italy. There is no lab that develops any 4x5 there.
    5 years after, I stumbled upon one of Ben Horne's video and I fell for it again. Now I live in the US where there are better-equipped labs, and the hybrid analog-digital process is possible.

I ended up buying an original copy of Barnbaum's book and re-reading it .
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    Uh, Richard Simmons? Did he write one, too? :-D

Robert
    Sorry 'bout that---Steve, not Richard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Don't tell me someone was doing calisthentic dancing and prancing in the Dektol !

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    you don't learn large format through a video. You learn by hands on experience...ben horne videos are for arm chair photographers who never leave home. I could teach you more on 2 days about l.f. Than you could learn in 5 years...no one seems to be willing to shell out the cash to learn. But youtube videos are free..right??
    amen!

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have posted darkroom videos which seem to be pretty popular over 60thousand hits, I am constantly getting email updates when someone follows these videos, I find them extremely helpful in spreading the word about what we do in our neck of the woods.
    Can you post a link to the videos? I am interested other people rambling in this thread might be too

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    You don't learn large format through a video. You learn by hands on experience...Ben Horne videos are for arm chair photographers who never leave home. I could teach you more on 2 days about l.f. than you could learn in 5 years...no one seems to be willing to shell out the cash to learn. But YouTube videos are free..right??

Peter, there is plenty of free instruction out there, but if you want to learn from a professional, you'll have to pay for it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Peter, there is plenty of free instruction out there, but if you want to learn from a professional, you'll have to pay for it.
    Does anyone have first hand experience from a workshop?

I am generally a self-taught, I think it would be strange for me

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    Does anyone have first hand experience from a workshop?

I am generally a self-taught, I think it would be strange for me
    I'm mostly self taught using online things, but have participated in workshops... Soft focus lenses, photographing children, ambrotypes.. Tillman Crane and MMW+C.

Workshops are great for:
    things hand-on where personal training saves much trial and error. alt process for example.
    things with high BS factor and misunderstandings where you need to try things - soft focus workshop.
    making personal connections with instructors so that as you follow through with what you learned a support option is available.

multiplex

i agree john

the more people interested the better !

i have been watching youtube videos of people watching youtube of people watching youtube videos of people watching youtube videos
    of people doing LF photography ...
    i haven't left with my camera in ages cause there is too much to see online !