Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspiration and Youtube

Marco Fantin

Inspiration and Youtube

Hello,

I recently started a Youtube channel to describe my experience of starting with large format landscape photography.

Clearly I know the Ben Horne's channel, which has been of great inspiration for me. Does anybody know other good sources in Youtube or other valuable resources?

Thanks

____
    SOCIAL MEDIA
    - Youtube
    - Instagram
    Last edited by marcookie; 11-Aug-2018 at 14:22.

Re: Inspiration and Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    Hello,

I recently started a Youtube channel to describe my experience of starting with large format landscape photography.

Clearly I know the Ben Horne's channel, which has been of great inspiration for me. Does anybody know other good sources in Youtube or other valuable resources?

Thanks

____
    SOCIAL MEDIA
    - Youtube
    - Instagram
    You don't learn large format through a video. You learn by hands on experience...Ben Horne videos are for arm chair photographers who never leave home. I could teach you more on 2 days about l.f. than you could learn in 5 years...no one seems to be willing to shell out the cash to learn. But YouTube videos are free..right??

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    You don't learn large format through a video. You learn by hands on experience...Ben Horne videos are for arm chair photographers who never leave home. I could teach you more on 2 days about l.f. than you could learn in 5 years...no one seems to be willing to shell out the cash to learn. But YouTube videos are free..right??
    The more interest generated in LF the more people willing to take the bait and run with it. The more cameras and film bought, the more of a market there will be for cameras and film and the more cameras and film will be manufactured.
    That's a good thing!
    I can't begrudge anyone finding inspiration from Youtubes even though it isn't hands on.
    Finding inspiration should be encouraged, not discouraged.
    Then go out and buy yourself a view camera and some film
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Many things online today seem more like virtual reality rather than experience, but get out and and feel the world around you, than even more filler that is delaying you actual experience...

Steve K

This disdain for youtube is muchly archaic. It's like college 30 minutes at a time. Learning is in the midst of being disrupted by technology like online video.

Much can be gained from real life hands on training, but that's not always available. Yeh, if you sit around drinking and watching youtube instead of espn, yeh, that's armchair stuff. If you watch something on youtube and then go do it, and learn something and survive and be inspired, it served it purpose. I learned how to break into my own truck in less than a minute after I was locked out and all alone and gained new respect for the amount of instruction and knowledge online for those that seek it. When it's not for immediate learning, it can be life long learning while I agitate developing film in the darkroom or roast coffee in the garage with a chromebook or phone at my side.

Marco Fantin

Thank you all for the discussion and the responses. I think they all nail the point--also the negative/sarcastic comment about the armchair photographers. Youtube is great, but like most technology the misuse is always around the corner. Going out to shoot some large format, and getting your hands on, is on another level.

jp: I've seen you're from Maine. I just visited. What an awesome time I had with such places and such people!
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Yes, YouTube photographers do not provide a first hand experience. That is true.
    But, they are doing favor to other photographers and to the medium by introducing the subject to the public, supporting the existence of film/process and increasing awareness.
    Needless to talk about the tourists response to a LF camera and photographer when they find one, which looks similar to their response in a history museum.
    Digital imaging photographers showing their virtual PhotoShoping on YouTube, why not photographers show real process?
    In this digital era, I think the mission of YouTube photographers is to introduce the Real alternative to the public. Similar to: instead of playing a football game on PlayStation, go out and play a Real football.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

I have posted darkroom videos which seem to be pretty popular over 60thousand hits, I am constantly getting email updates when someone follows these videos, I find them extremely helpful in spreading the word about what we do in our neck of the woods.

My own journey:
    I was familiar with Ansel Adams from our summers in Yosemite in the 1950's and 60's and found inspiration in his photographs, especially those which were possible with the perspective possible through a view camera, but no way could I see myself putting light sensitive film into or out of a film holder in the dark, much less developing sheet film.
    Fast forward about 25 years I found myself working in the Directorate of Industrial Ops one summer at Ft Huachuca, AZ which was being subbed out to Pan Am World Services and everything on the Army side of the house needed documenting before being handed over to Pan Am. Since my job basically was to turn out the lights, I accompanied the Army photographer around the base shooting various parts of the installation. I told him how intrigued I was with the big cameras and he replied: "It's not rocket science. If you want to shoot LF read a good book on the subject and go out and play." A decade passed and I came across Richard Simmons Using The View Camera and View Camera magazine and shortly after, I happened on a musty old Speed Graphic at a junk store. The rest is history.
    My point being that without the hap hazard meetings with Ansel Adams and that Army photographer, and then discovering View Camera on the shelf at Barns & Noble, I likely would have never been motivated enough to invest in a real live view camera (these things ain't cheap---even at junk stores) and go out and play with it.

I wonder how many members on this great forum showed up here out of curiosity and ended up joining the party? I tend to see Youtube as a step, but only a step, in the right direction since you still have to get out and play with 'em.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White