Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Inspiration and Youtube

Re: Inspiration and Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    There are lots of different ways to learn. "Doing something" is one way to learn, but so is going to a gallery and looking at some beautiful prints in person. We learn and draw inspiration from everything around us, and use that to further our own creative pursuits. You mention that you learn every time you put the camera on a tripod — but have you ever been inspired by — and learned from other art forms? Perhaps viewing an art exhibit of paintings would inspire you to take a somewhat different approach on your next photo? Maybe it would influence your lighting, or your choice of subject? We absorb information and inspiration from world around us. The more we experience, the more we learn. It seems you have made up your mind that the ONLY way to learn is by doing something, but if you limit yourself to ONLY that, how much can you ever actually learn? I am not trying to teach technique with the videos. Instead, I tell the story of finding subjects, what attracted me to them, and why I setup the compositions that I did. That is the sort of information I love to hear from pother photographers – the thought process behind a particular photo.
    take a workshop with Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee and your viewfinder will grow exponentially....

There are lots of different ways to learn. "Doing something" is one way to learn, but so is going to a gallery and looking at some beautiful prints in person. We learn and draw inspiration from everything around us, and use that to further our own creative pursuits. You mention that you learn every time you put the camera on a tripod — but have you ever been inspired by — and learned from other art forms? Perhaps viewing an art exhibit of paintings would inspire you to take a somewhat different approach on your next photo? Maybe it would influence your lighting, or your choice of subject? We absorb information and inspiration from world around us. The more we experience, the more we learn. It seems you have made up your mind that the ONLY way to learn is by doing something, but if you limit yourself to ONLY that, how much can you ever actually learn? I am not trying to teach technique with the videos. Instead, I tell the story of finding subjects, what attracted me to them, and why I setup the compositions that I did. That is the sort of information I love to hear from pother photographers – the thought process behind a particular photo.
    Classy response to the haters, Ben.

I for one like to draw inspiration from YouTube videos. I have taught myself LF photography by watching videos, reading books, and reading forums, and then applying that knowledge in the field. Does that make me a "watcher" instead of a "doer"? I see tons of young photographers on the interwebs and locally using medium and large format equipment, and I can't help but think that the availability of high quality inspiration from YouTube and Instagram (like Bob's and Ben's videos) are helping to attract more people to the hobby thus helping Kodak and Ilford sell more film.

Would you be better served by going out and shooting than staying home and watching videos? Absolutely, but during my down time I'm glad that such resources exist to help stoke the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    Well,
    I have to say that I learned more from your videos than from any tutorial. Especially the bad, the struggle, and the wait times, as andrewch59 is saying. This is overlooked by many flashy tutorial-videos, but it is much part of the experience.
    Thanks Marco! That is cool to hear that they had an impact. I just subscribed to your channel, and I look forward to checking out your videos when I'm done with work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    While in my mind I think I have plenty of experience when it comes to LF photography, I still watch all of Ben's videos. I find them informative, enjoyable, (although Ben mentions that he doesn't create them as entertainment), and well done. If anything, they make me want to get back out and try again. They make me think (that is where the inspiration from his videos, and others comes in to play). I am always trying to capture images that I might find interesting and compelling, and believe me, I am not an armchair photographer by any stretch of the imagination. Inspiration can come from many different venues, YouTube videos are just one of them.
    Thanks Jim! Hopefully our paths will cross again this fall. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    take a workshop with Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee and your viewfinder will grow exponentially....

They have some beautiful work, though I definitely prefer to work with color for the type of subjects I enjoy shooting. Do you have any of your work posted Peter? I would love to check it out.

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by fj55mike View Post
    Classy response to the haters, Ben.

I for one like to draw inspiration from YouTube videos. I have taught myself LF photography by watching videos, reading books, and reading forums, and then applying that knowledge in the field. Does that make me a "watcher" instead of a "doer"? I see tons of young photographers on the interwebs and locally using medium and large format equipment, and I can't help but think that the availability of high quality inspiration from YouTube and Instagram (like Bob's and Ben's videos) are helping to attract more people to the hobby thus helping Kodak and Ilford sell more film.

Would you be better served by going out and shooting than staying home and watching videos? Absolutely, but during my down time I'm glad that such resources exist to help stoke the fire.
    100% Agree.
    It's the era of the information and we should be lucky that we don't have to dig too much for it, but we mostly need to filter a lot of it. Still not an easy task. Sometimes it's a good youtube channel, sometime it's a book.
    And the end if you keep learning it means that you are still improving.
    Let's see how it goes in the next trip.
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by hornstenj View Post
    Thanks for the links!

Marco Fantin

Thanks for sharing, super interesting. Growing up close to Venice (Italy), I grew up between museums and paintings, and no photography. Who knows, maybe this will show up in some images eventually.

No new inspiration links for you, but I did subscribe to your channel!

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by K. Praslowicz View Post
    No new inspiration links for you, but I did subscribe to your channel!
    And I did subscribe to yours!
    --Man you're funny, this is the second comment that you send me that makes me laugh!