Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Book: The Handmade Silver Gelatin Emulsion Print

Re: New Book: The Handmade Silver Gelatin Emulsion Print

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Cool! Ordered
    !
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Were you thinking about the Carbro process? That has fascinated me for a long time. Bromide paper without a hard supercoat is one of the requirements (I think).
    HI Denise,

Carbro is an interesting process that does indeed require a bromide paper, preferably without the super coat.

However, I was not thinking about carbro in my comment, but about a carbon tissue that would be pre-sensitized with a silver halide emulsion, kind of like the matrix of the Kodak Dye Transfer process, which was known as the Eastman Wash Off Relief Process before the name change to Dye Transfer. There were actually several commercial color carbon processes that used silver to harden the gelatin, though that was long ago before 1950. The way it is done is the carbon tissue sensitized with silver is developed in a tanning developer, usually one made up with pyrogallol or pyrocatechin. This hardens the gelatin in a similar way to dichromate, then the silver image is bleached out. Not very practical today, but curious, and I am often curious and impractical!

Best,

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Curiosity killed the cat

Ah, but I'd bet it died happy cat :-).

Thanks, Sandy, for the info -- an aspect of our artistic history I was totally unaware of. There is a lot to know and learn from over a century and a half of photographic history!
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com

I love Sandy for his ability to understand complex ideas as they pertain to photographic print processes, over the years I have learned many , many things from him... one thing I did learn was never go photographing with Sandy and Sam, you end up watering the rock face. As well they use those fancy infrared sensors on their cameras, then take you to a boring location to shoot, their work looks spectacular but you are left wondering why this location.

Are the books also available as ebook?

My Flickr

At some point, yes. The price should be in line with the ebook prices on Chris Anderson's two books. I don't have any say on pricing or release dates, so that's about all the info I have. You might ask Routledge/Focal.
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com

So my book just arrived yesterday and I managed to get a quick peak before my wife wrapped it and put it under the tree. I just want to say congratulations and thanks Denise. The book is amazing - well written, lots of information and illustrations - exactly what I was hoping for. And shipping was great too. I was concerned considering the season and that we were heading out shortly but no problem. Now I just need to work on getting The Camera Store in Calgary to carry some stock.

Anyway - I feel like my grandkids now waiting to open my presents.

Hope you all have a good holiday, a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Dave

Routledge in the UK has an year-end discount so I splurged and got a hard-cover copy of the book, will be a nice holiday reading.