Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bad back = get a light weight 4x5" camera

Re: bad back = get a light weight 4x5" camera

Quote Originally Posted by docw View Post
    In threads like this, I always find myself suggesting the Super Graphic. I don't mean the Super Speed Graphic. The Super Graphic has a metal body and, unlike the Crown or the Speed Graphic, it has a lot of movements, although only front movements. The back, however, is fully rotatable. I think it is one of most durable, portable, and versatile of the Graflex cameras. I also think that it was the basis for the original Toyo field camera. I strongly suggest that you take a look it. I used one for quite a while and it never let me down.
    It is at l east double the weight of an Ikeda and similar cameras. I have a Graphic, 2 in fact, BUT I do not carry them in the field and never have. There are too many excellent cameras with longer bellows, more movements and significantly less weight available.

Not to hijack this thread, but to Doremus -- how do you fold your lens into your Wista DX? I have a Wista DX with the rear shift, and, unfortunately, I cannot leave my small, Caltar 210mm f6.1 lens on the camera and close it up. When I try to close the camera, the lens hits one of two tripod hole sockets that stick up into the inside of the camera bed. Maybe I've got a different, older model?

I use Toyo 4X5 G, 4X5 Robos, 8x10 G and 8x10M. I also used TRF Crown Graphic and all my lenses except for a 150mm SW Nikkor are in 4X5 Graphic lens boards and I use Toyo Graphic adapter boards flat and recessed on the cameras. Even my Beseler enlargers can use Graphic mounted boards with an adapter. I sold the TRF Graphic a while ago and have been using monorail in the field for 4X5 but have felt the need for something lighter and simpler. I took a chance on the old model 43/4X61/2 Toyo field camera with a 4X5 back and I am very happy with it. It takes the Graphic boards directly and can focus my 47mm Super Angulon XL to infinity on the flat Graphic lens board horizontal with the bed dropped. This was the lightest 4X5 field camera Toyo ever built and the quality is excellent. Tilt, swing and rise and fall on the front and tilt on the rear. Revolving back takes Toyo viewers. I was sure it would probably need a new bellows, but this vintage Toyo used a leather bellows lined with black fabric and it is still in fine shape. If you use Graphic lens boards, these inexpensive field cameras are ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but to Doremus -- how do you fold your lens into your Wista DX? I have a Wista DX with the rear shift, and, unfortunately, I cannot leave my small, Caltar 210mm f6.1 lens on the camera and close it up. When I try to close the camera, the lens hits one of two tripod hole sockets that stick up into the inside of the camera bed. Maybe I've got a different, older model?
    Hi Ben,
    I have the older DX version with only one tripod socket at the rear of the camera, which allows for more lenses to be folded into the camera. The earlier versions had a recess in the bottom plate that allowed more room for larger lenses to be folded up with the camera. That said, I have a newer version as well and can still fold up small lenses such as the Ektar 203mm and even my Fujinon A 180mm. One must be careful that the raised center tripod socket doesn't contact the lens at all with newer versions, which limits further the size of lenses that can be folded up into the camera.

Best,

Doremus