Thread: HWY 1 opening

HWY 1 opening

A portion of it's been closed between Limekiln SP and Carmel for quite some time, so this will enable travel from Monterey all the way to Pismo Beach
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: HWY 1 opening

Heading up that way on Thanksgiving Day to Carmel as a birthday present for my wife. So all youse other guys take the 101 or I'll sic my attack gerbil on you.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

I have fond memories of driving Hwy 1 end to end, where possible, several times, in 1971.

Fantastic road! Even in a 1970 VW Beetle. I drove that thing 100K in 23 months, until a severe crash when it actually saved me. Very glad I had no passenger, as she would not have survived.

We also drove down Lombard St several times and thought it had closed to tourists, but today Wikipedia says it's open.

Looking for the 2 new stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have fond memories of driving Hwy 1 end to end, where possible, several times, in 1971.

Fantastic road! Even in a 1970 VW Beetle. I drove that thing 100K in 23 months, until a severe crash when it actually saved me. Very glad I had no passenger, as she would not have survived.

We also drove down Lombard St several times and thought it had closed to tourists, but today Wikipedia says it's open.

Looking for the 2 new stars.
    LOL! I had a 1968 and drove that bug up and down hwy 1, San Francisco (including Lombard) and the Sierra back in the 70s!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Well, there is another way to do the entire north to south coastal run, involving neither Hwy 1 or 101. I've taken it many times; lovely in the Spring, but don't try it in a passenger car; you'll get stuck. And allow at least one or two extra days - impossible to drive fast, except when a bull charges your truck in open
    range (which did happen to me once!).

It was the thing to do then, I graduated HS 1969 Chicago and we drove directly to the LA beaches. First time West. We drove a 1964 TR4 top always down with a nonworking clutch slave cyl. Double clutch for 1000 miles. Fixed that in a junkyard in Texas. Not my car, the second car, Austin Healy 100-4 never left the garage. These were $100 cars.

I think the 1967 bugs and splitties were the best year ever made. Had too many to count.

Here's my second to last one, a 1964 Type II conversion all original and not from California. Maybe converted in California...almost a Westy, but not.

Ektachrome 35mm slide shot 1998 Nikon N-70, The NOT ART is sprayed paint stencil done by me. Not PS.

1964 NOT ART BUS Type II by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    LOL! I had a 1968 and drove that bug up and down hwy 1, San Francisco (including Lombard) and the Sierra back in the 70s!
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

No, definitely not a Westie. You would have needed a bit of stovepipe projecting through the roof, which would preferably have been overlaid with real cedar shingles, tie dyed curtains, a Reevco engine oil cooler, Turista window stickers, along with real Mexican bullet holes in the rear window. A lot of random spray paint splotches too.

2009 flew to Halifax Nova Scotia, bought this fresh restoration and tried to drive it home to Chicago. Got poison gas (1/2 diesel) outside of Montreal, limped into Montreal and shipped it home.

It was my last Type II Westy.

Too nice to keep. Sold! Now I drive a Ford Pickup. Better gas mileage than any VW Bus!

VW 23 Window Safari Vans are selling for 6 figures. https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Ev...I-SAMBA-151674

71 Halifax Bus by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

The big slide area on Hwy 1 north of the Golden Gate, between Muir Beach and Stinson, is progressing along nicely. There are several control lights in the area with only one lane open for both both directions, but the delays are minor. Several washed out bridges in vicinity of Pt Reyes are still under construction but also impose only minor delays. The road from Hwy 1 over the ridge of Mt Tam from Bolinas Lagoon is now fully open. I also got my first look of Black Mtn above Pt Reyes Station after the fire. That hill is a favorite with local painters, though hard to get a good photographic vantage point of without being run over. It has three gentle ridges or humps running parallel uphill, which now constitute a bizarre skunk stripe of unburnt yellow grass adjacent to black burnt grass, adjacent to pink fire retardant on the next ridge. It will recover fine after some rain.