Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SMALL light meter suggestions

Re: SMALL light meter suggestions

cell phone. works well for black and white.

Foamer

Well, I nearly bought a Pilot 2--like the small size and vintage, but then read it doesn't have very good low light capability. So, I ended up buying a used L-208 from KEH for a lot less than a new one. I think it will do what I want. Thanks to all that responded! I might still buy one of the older vintage meters to use on day trips.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Nice choice. The L208 is a decent light meter.

Hi Tim - how are things? I have a couple of light meter apps on my phone but can never read them in the Tucson sun. They work fine indoors though.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have a Minolta IVf that I love and (more importantly) trust, but now I'm looking for a very compact meter to travel with. I'm thinking of something like the Digisix, L-208, Voigtlander VC, etc. I really only need ambient metering, but reflective would be a nice addition. I definitely want to stay under $200, and more like $100. I generally prefer to buy used. What about some of the older meters--weren't many of them small? I am afraid the ones that don't take batteries will be dead or dying though. So, any suggestions? I don't have a smart phone so don't suggest an app.

Kent in SD
    While I am sure that you have a good reason for wanting a compact meter . . . WHY? I have the same model meter and find it to be fully pocketable and a feather-weight item. So to what extent is it too big or too heavy?

Smart phones have been availab le for a few years now; perhaps one of the newer models and the right app could fit your needs while giving you GPS options, note taking and scene scouting/documentation capabilities.

Anyone know of an effective capable metering app?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I also recommend a cell phone app. I use “pocket light meter”. It’s free and it works really well. My only complaint is it can get confused by complex scenes. 98% of the time, it’s dead on, but if you have small areas of heavy shadows and small areas of bright highlights the small spot meter won’t be able use them. Now if you’re just looking for an incident meter, you can meter the palm of your hand with it and then drop the exposure a stop and you’ve got a decently accurate incident meter. They also make domes to put over your cell phone’s camera (Luxi is one brand) to make it work just like a true incident meter. Several app, including the one I mentioned, have the option to be calibrated to accept it.

Foamer

Not sure if my cell phone can become a light meter. It was made in ~2010. I keep it because it does not have GPS, and doesn't connect to the internet. It replaced the flip phone I had, that suddenly flipped in half.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Not sure if my cell phone can become a light meter. It was made in ~2010. I keep it because it does not have GPS, and doesn't connect to the internet. It replaced the flip phone I had, that suddenly flipped in half.

Kent in SD
    Neither would I. Having to buy a smartphone for more than the price of a very good lightmeter, with an app that is made by programmers with an unknown background in photography and lighting, no real spot measure, no incident metering, having a battery life measured in hours instead of years and unreadable in bright sunlight.

What is the advantage?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I like the Pocket Spot meter. Its hard to find and can be pricy but works great. I mainly use a Pentax Digital which I've used for decades, but when I want to go light or need a backup I go for the PS.
    https://figitalrevolution.com/2009/1...-meter-review/

Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Neither would I. Having to buy a smartphone for more than the price of a very good lightmeter, with an app that is made by programmers with an unknown background in photography and lighting, no real spot measure, no incident metering, having a battery life measured in hours instead of years and unreadable in bright sunlight.

What is the advantage?
    The programmers don't even know what hardware their software is running on. They make the software and hope it works with the variety of hardware and OS options the smartphones utilize.

The smartphone is handy for taking documentary snapshots or if you run out of film and are scouting/trying things. Certain brands are a status symbol as well.