Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What LF camera? Rangefinderviewfield?

What LF camera? Rangefinderviewfield?

Clemens:

Photo courtesy Claudio Bottari as presented on Bob Monaghan's excellent site. For more detail see medfmt.8k.com/mf/veriwide.html

If you wish to replicate the Leica with 21mm S/A on MF rollfilm, then consider the Plaubel Veriwide and the Brooks Veriwide. The Plaubel is 6x9 and the Veriwide is 6x8.

A Veriwide will cost you no more than an outstanding LF 75mm lens. You need not purchase a Veriwide with the optical finder which can cost another $700: the finder the same one used on the 21mm S/A you already own.

I have owned both and presently use the Brooks with the F5.6 47mm lens. I wish I still had the Plaubel.

What LF camera? Rangefinderviewfield?

To find a Veriwide 100 as clean as that photo, be prepared to spend twice as much or be very patient. Most are tarnished and beat up, as they very useful and well used cameras. They also have a very delicate (poorly engineered, poorly made) film transport system and the lens mount is fragile - one hard knock will cause it to loose alignment (the mount is made from tin - err... thin aluminum). Don't get me wrong - they are great 6x10 (seven frame) cameras if you get a good one and baby it, but buyer beware.

I owned two. I wish somebody made a more robust version because it is a great idea - it captures the most amount of information possible (the lens is sharp and the 6x10 format is large) in a near Leica sized package.