Thread: Ilford DDX Failure???

Ilford DDX Failure???

Developed a 120 roll of TMY-2 last night with Ilford DDX. There was 100ml remaining in a bottle so I used it up. Mixed 4 to 1 as per instructions. Starting developer temp at 67 degrees, in a 68 degree water bath. Developer temp after process was just under 70. (Ambient 78) I usually see a 2 - 3 degree change in 8 min so I start a hair low.

Film came out totally blank - no edge lettering, no nothing.

Can't think of anything other than developer failure but I've never seen that in a couple of years of using DDX. Any thoughts???

Re: Ilford DDX Failure???

How long have you had the bottle? How long has it been since you opened it? And for how long has it been sitting with just the 100ml remaining?

Vancouver (Burnaby), BC, Canada & Hong Kong, HK

In my experience, DDX spoils quickly once opened. How long had you had the concentrate?

Probably started using the bottle a couple of months ago. Worked fine up until last week. The last 100ml was sitting about a week or ten days. Probably should separate it into 100ml bottle or something. Or maybe that wouldn't help...

Concern about this kind of thing is why I don't use XTOL as I only use a liter or so of stock solution every 2 - 3 months so a 5 liter batch would be enough for a year.

A bottle of HC-110 syrup on the other hand would probably outlast me. The one I opened a few years back still works flawlessly.

I've used a fair amount of DD-X and have never had a development failure, but I toss any remaining developer from a partially-used bottle after six months from the date the bottle was opened. Also, FWIW, storage conditions are favorable - my darkroom is quite cool in the winter and really for most of the year, but even during the worst of the summer it never gets above a comfortable room temperature.

When I prepare 5L of Xtol stock I separate it into ten 500-ml glass bottles, so very little of it is being exposed to excess oxygen at any one time. I've never had an Xtol failure either with the current packaging, though given the product's history I understand why people are wary.

Ah yes, favorable conditions. Probably not in Tucson where the "cold" water gets close to 90 degrees in the summer. Although this year has been more moderate due to more cloudy days - haven't had a day much over 114 yet this year. The developer was at most 3 months "old".