Thread: Seeking Resource For Large Mat/Foam Board 40x60 and 48x96 - Know of Any Place?

Seeking Resource For Large Mat/Foam Board 40x60 and 48x96 - Know of Any Place?

I am making some custom printing masks for my 40x50 and 24x72 prints.

Do you know of any places where I can purchase some mat or rag board that I can use to make this?

I have found some places, but they require bulk orders.

Also, if you have alternate ideas for materials, I am open to anything that works.

Thanks

Tim

Re: Seeking Resource For Large Mat/Foam Board 40x60 and 48x96 - Know of Any Place?

I think in your location the best place may be a sign maker.

I bought 4x8 coroplast which is harder to work but very sturdy. Waterproof. It’s corrugated ‘cardboard’ plastic that sign makers make all those Real Estate signs with.

Big city stuff I got mine in Chicago cheap.

Maybe St Louis?

Re: Seeking Resource For Large Mat/Foam Board 40x60 and 48x96 - Know of Any Place?

I recently bought very thin 4x8 plywood. 3/16”.

It works easy but also not waterproof and warps in high humidity unless stacked in piles.

Drew Wiley

Retail plastic shops don't carry as large a selection as sign or framing wholesalers, but they can sell you individual sheets. Sintra is widely available.

2mm sintra is widely available and cuts easily with a knife. The edges can be sanded to remove any burrs. You can try any sign supply or Laird Plasics, Grimco etc.

I have never seen Sintra, but I want some in 4X8' sheets maybe 3 mm.

This may be a similar item? https://rjsign.com/SUBSTRATE-MATERIA...vc-sheets.html Made in Alabama.

This is one reseller. https://www.rjsign.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have never seen Sintra, but I want some in 4X8' sheets maybe 3 mm.

This may be a similar item? https://rjsign.com/SUBSTRATE-MATERIA...vc-sheets.html Made in Alabama.

This is one reseller. https://www.rjsign.com/
    Sintra is a brand of foamed pvc products and for many years was the best and most widely available. Now there are other brands: Celtec, Komacel et al. These are widely distributed and most sign and graphic suppliers sell them almost in truckloads to some of the largest sign shops. You should have little to no trouble finding single sheets available. Try Piedmont Plastics, Laird Plastics, Grimco, to name a few. There are many colors available. I've used it to create negative carriers, masks, signs, and many other projects. It is also thermo formable at 165 deg. F so if you want to make that Star Wars Imperial Armor this is the stuff.
    Last edited by Mrportr8; 17-Jul-2018 at 12:20.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrportr8 View Post
    Sintra is brand of foamed pvc products and for many years was the best and most widely available. Now there are other brands: Celtec, Komacel et al. These are widely distributed and most sign and graphic suppliers sell them almost in truckloads to some of the largest sign shops. You should have little to no trouble finding single sheets available. Try Piedmont Plastics, Laird Plastics, Grimco, to name a few. There are many colors available. I've used it to create negative carriers, masks, signs, and many other projects. It is also thermo formable at 165 deg. F so if you want to make that Star Wars Imperial Armor this is the stuff.

If you are printing with the paper on a vacuum wall, or with magnets, get some galvanized roof flashing. Comes in 4x8 sheets, and can be cut with tin snips, or if you're really interested in absolute accuracy, get it cut on a waterjet. Another option is black LDPE plastic, or thin "starboard" plastic sheeting. Find an industrial plastics supply and tell them what you're looking for.

-Dan