Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on upgrading from 4x5 to 8x10

Re: Opinions on upgrading from 4x5 to 8x10

My suggestion to the originator of his thread is to borrow or rent an 8x10. Use it for about a month, even a weekend is better than nothing, give the format a serious try and then decide whether you want to buy one or not.

Drew Wiley

I dunno. It does take awhile to learn to re-visualize and manage depth of field when converting from 4x5 to 8x10, not to mention strategizing the bulk. Ya kinda gotta jump in and not just wiggle your toes in the water. 8x10 is not just a big 4x5.
    Nowadays you can buy fairly lightweight highly portable 8x10's, but you still need to rethink the whole system. A tripod which is adequate for 4x5 might be almost useless for even a lightwt 8x10. And if you're a machine-gunner, you better be both rich and have an elephant and mahout to carry your holders. It's a format that rewards a contemplative pace. But at a certain point you get comfortable with your equipment and operate intuitively. Then it really gets fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It ..... rewards a contemplative pace. But at a certain point you get comfortable with your equipment and operate intuitively. Then it really gets fun.
    This excellent statement could also be applied to a lot of different areas of photography and it is oh so true. It appears to me that there is all too often a preponderance for changing gear whilst often equipment actually takes a considerable time to evaluate, get to know and appreciate, and then finally to use effectively. Well said.

So, the OP just got a very nice Linhof recently and is looking at a larger camera... I agree with others that suggest jumping on the learning curve and getting going first...

Read the faq's on the home page carefully about magic bullets...

And if you want to do color, you better do a cost analysis beforehand... Or this new thing might end up being expensive prop decoration at your place...

Not trying to be negative, just real...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    I agree completely. If you really want to do something and are fiscally and physically able, then do it. There will come a day when you either don't have the funds, or are in poor health, or both. By then, it's too late.
    This is so true. As much as photography is a cerebral endeavor, when it is large format photography it is also a very physical activity. And although it is now mostly vintage equipment, the cost grows quickly. Do it if you have the funds. You can recoup almost all if you change your mind later on.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

I have the opportunity to buy an 8x10 Calumet C1 along with a Dagor 10 3/4 in. f6.8 and 4 film holders for $450. I am just dabbling back into film with a Wista 45DX and a recently purchased Hasselblad 500 C/M. I have the 4x5 enlarger but not the darkroom to take full advantage. I don't want to cover my windows permanently and to put something up every time I want to print is a pita. I would love to buy it, but honestly it would be wasted on me.

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I have the opportunity to buy an 8x10 Calumet C1 along with a Dagor 10 3/4 in. f6.8 and 4 film holders for $450. I am just dabbling back into film with a Wista 45DX and a recently purchased Hasselblad 500 C/M. I have the 4x5 enlarger but not the darkroom to take full advantage. I don't want to cover my windows permanently and to put something up every time I want to print is a pita. I would love to buy it, but honestly it would be wasted on me.
    When I was young and lived with my parents, my room was in the basement. It was what was then called a "Mother in law's quarters" and included a kitchenette. I had a refrigerator to store paper and a sink to use. I had three windows to cover so I just hang blankets over the curtain rods and only printed at night. I used Unicolor drums for Cibachrome printing. It wasn't too bad a hassle and it worked fine.

I've heard of people building light weight frames and covering them with opaque material. They would just hang the frames over the windows when needed. It would be quick but you would have to have room to store the frames. Post your problem on the forum and someone may have a better solution. As they say, there is usually more than one way to skin a cat.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Walmart sells darkroom curtains (white on one side and black on the other) with loops to open and close that work and the L shaped rods for cheap - like $50 to cover a 6.5 x 4 foot window down to the floor.

Thomas

Ok! I made the plunge and purchased a Canham 8x10 used. It's an older model, so I need a Toyo lensboard and a good first lens. I'm thinking a 300mm?
    Does Toyo make 8x10 film holders, and if not sholud I go for Fidelity/Elite?
    Any thoughts welcome.

Scared, but excited.

Quote Originally Posted by v.kapoor View Post
    ...so I need a Toyo lensboard and a good first lens. I'm thinking a 300mm?
    Does Toyo make 8x10 film holders, and if not sholud I go for Fidelity/Elite?
    Congrats. 300mm is the "standard" lens for 8x10, just as 150mm is standard for 4x5.

I believe TOYO does make 8x10 holders, but most of my holders are Fidelity Elites. They're fine.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.