Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on upgrading from 4x5 to 8x10

Re: Opinions on upgrading from 4x5 to 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    If you can afford the investment and are physically able to handle the equipment I'd say do it while you can. Don't like it just sell the stuff. Not like buying a new couch. You also need to have the time and energy to research what to buy and how to process the film.

Yup. this is good advice. You'll never know for sure unless you try it...and in this case, there is little downside risk. You might loose a couple hundred dollars but, you can reckon that against the education & experienced gained.

Go for it and have fun!

I started in 4x5, which I still use quite a bit, but I also got an 8x10 about 10 years ago. I had a few used and somewhat shaky cheapies (like an old B&J) but I finally got a Kodak Master View for about $1200 if I recall. You can still find them for under 2K, easily, and they are both sturdy and relatively light. A really good camera.

I tend to use only one or two lenses. I would rather move the camera than mess around with a pile of lenses. Also, I cannot imagine the cost of regular CLA maintenance on a wide range of lenses. Until very recently, my only 8x10 lens was a 14 inch (about 366mm) Commercial Ektar which is a great lens and can often be found for a very reasonable price. Both Karsh and AA used the same lens as me although their photographs are still better than mine. Maintenance is getting harder on them because fewer and fewer technicians want to work on the old Universal shutters. In any case, you don't have to sell the farm to get a decent 8x10 lens. My second 8x10 lens is a Fujinon-W 250mm f/6.7. It is very sharp and was not that expensive.

After camera and lens (and if I were you, I would start with just one lens), the main expenses will be
    - film holders (NOT cheap for 8x10)
    - film (hold your breath before looking). It is probably a good idea to practise with some of the "student film" (like Arista Edu which is way cheaper and pretty good I have heard)
    - tripod - if you can, get a second hand carbon fibre right away and be done with it, unless you are a young lad with strength and stamina

That seems like a lot of extra expense and I suppose it is, but you will probably shoot less too. The bigger the format, the more contemplative the process, I find. Maybe it is just because of the expense, lol, or maybe an unconscious resistance to hauling around a pile of film holders. In any case, I love my 8x10 (with 5x7 back!) and I still use my 4x5.

There are many ways to make photographs, but the easiest and least expensive way to make an excellent photograph is with an 8X10 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    There are many ways to make photographs, but the easiest and least expensive way to make an excellent photograph is with an 8X10 camera.
    Neal, I agree that it is, in the long run, the least expensive way, but I bet there is gonna be some blowback over that! I will make some popcorn and wait for the sparks.

Dear OP, why do you think such a move is an "upgrade"?
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post

My own experience is that the camera is the least important thing to photography. Just because I'm shooting this or that camera does not mean my images will be better (except for specialty photography such as birds in flight etc.) Some of my favorite photos have been made with my 1904 Kodak Brownie No. 2.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    I agree completely. If you really want to do something and are fiscally and physically able, then do it. There will come a day when you either don't have the funds, or are in poor health, or both. By then, it's too late.
    I have got to agree with you,
    The lady I bought my 8x10 Kodak 2D and Durst 183 from had to give it all up due to health reasons.

I myself can barely walk some days due to spinal injuries in my past, so I know that I am on borrowed time. I plan on taking advantage of it.

I love these existentialist answers - it's inspiring! Thank you.

Yes, far better than rationalization.

Dance now!

Quote Originally Posted by v.kapoor View Post
    I love these existentialist answers - it's inspiring! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Yes, far better than rationalization.

Dance now!
    Yes. Not every question can be answered rationally and logically. Many can only be answered with the heart. The 'need' to do something is moderated by logical conclusions reached by careful consideration of factual data. The 'desire' to do something cannot be so coldly controlled.

If you want to do something and it harms no others, then do it. Stop questioning your heart once you've determined that desire's relative harmlessness. Nearing the 'midnight hour of winter' you'll be glad you did, or regret you didn't.