Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holder for scanning 5x7

Holder for scanning 5x7

Just bought myself an Epson V700 and looking for a way to scan som yet to be shot 5x7 negatives.
    I'm prety new to scanning so just checking here before I go any further.
    If I just get the height of the negative right can I just make my own holder or does it need to look the same as the original one?
    Read somewhere that some scanners use the holder for calibration, is that true and or necessary?

I was planning to 3d print a holder that holds the negative down with magnets.
    Might this work?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5x7 scan holder.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	180464

Re: Holder for scanning 5x7

You will find tons of good advice. My advice is try the easy way first.

Then go nuts.

I use the 8x10 V700 mask and simply lay the 5x7 in the center right on the glass.

Adjust height next or not.

If you make a holder I believe it has to have that cut-out area that runs along the glass near the hinged part of the scanner - I believe that signals to the scanner that a neg / transparency is being scanned. So as Randy Moe said, you can use the 8X10 mask, or copy it for making your own. I do what Randy does - lay the 5X7 neg on the glass using the 8X10 mask - problem is, the more than occasional newton rings.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Foamer

Dang, if my name was Randy that would make three in a row! But it's not. I just lay the negs emulsion side down and scan. I've not had problems yet. I do that with glass plates too.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

That's a cool idea. What you may want to consider is a way to keep the side closest to the scanner as thin but non flexible as possible and develop a way that you can vary the height. Each scanner, even the Epsons, may vary in the optimal scanning height so being able to adjust it will help. I designed a holder for my 5x7's that's good for preliminary scans but I use the Better Scanning set up for my final scans.

Tim

I agree that finding the right height is the most important step. I think your idea would work though. Just do some test runs to find out what your scanners optimum height is, then you can shim your holder to that height with sheet of paper or whatever.

For my scanner (Epson 4990) the optimum height is straight on the glass. So after trying about a million things, I came up with a wet scanning method that works best. I use a sheet of Grafix Dura-Lar and Ronsonol. It's cheap, it's easy, and it works better than any film holder I've tried.

Just make sure to leave maybe 1/4" of open space at the bottom of the scanner (near the hinge). That's where the scanner calibrates itself and if you cover that up, you'll get dark lines or static fuzz where an image should be. You'll think you've broken the scanner or something, but it's just what you get when the scanner can't calibrate itself.

Don't the 5X7 and 8X10 films bend in the middle when supported above the glass from the sides?

Which could induce all kinds of odd focus areas?

Perhaps even touching the glass in the middle?

I have experimented with thin 8X10 AN glass above and below the negs and even in a sandwich.

If my film is warped I now just lay AN glass on it.

for 4x5 - 8x10, I just lay the film, emulsion down, on the glass and set scanner to 'area guide'. will also usually put AN glass on top of the neg to keep it flat. you'll need to flip the image in post.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

A question

Does anyone notice less than flat negatives after processing in ANY tube or Taco method?

I have never used tubes and most of my 5X7 and up film is very flat...

My sheet film negatives are flat after processing, but sometimes they curl slightly while sitting on the glass in my V700, presumably from the heat of the lamp or the scanner's electronics warming up. It's enough to cause trouble in the corners of the scan, so a top AN glass or at least some way of holding the corners down is helpful.