Thread: Epson Surecolor P800 Print Banding

Epson Surecolor P800 Print Banding

I purchased the P800 printer a little over 7 months ago. To date, I've been very satisfied with both the color and B&W Prints. I am still using the original ink cartridges and printing on Epson's papers. Recently, I have run across a problem with print banding using Epson's Legacy Fibre paper and Matt Black ink. I print from Lightroom using the calibrated monitor profile for color management. This has produced the best looking prints to date. Since the banding appeared, I've run a nozzle check, cleaned the nozzles, even though the initial nozzle check was OK, and run the head alignment test again. Everything is fine, yet I still am getting banding which is especially evident on the larger (13"X19") prints. The ink cartridge supply levels are still OK. Epson's support site seems to provide little help with this problem. Can someone offer a next step to resolve this problem? Here is a sample of the problem (iPhone photo).

thanks

Mike Reyburn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2914.jpg  

Re: Epson Surecolor P800 Print Banding

Mike,

Not sure what print settings you are using, but set them to print at 2880 if you are using any setting under that and see if that helps. If you are using that setting, I haven't a clue. Jim

Your next step with Epson is to tell them to replace the printer. A lot less hassle than wasting another few hundred dollars in paper and time. It is still under warranty so get noisy and get a replacement printer.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Your next step with Epson is to tell them to replace the printer. A lot less hassle than wasting another few hundred dollars in paper and time. It is still under warranty so get noisy and get a replacement printer.
    Hi
    I own an Epson P800. I found a similar effect when I switched to a different paper (ilford mono silk at the time, iirc).
    I cannot be sure if it was the same effect you are seeing here but I solved it by the reducing the paper advancing speed.
    Good luck!

Best regards

Alexandre

Enviado do meu ONEPLUS A5000 através do Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read elsewhere that turning off "high speed" printing would help to eliminate the banding problem. However, this option does not appear to be a choice on my system (OSX 10.13.6) and the current Epson P800 driver. I tried printing the image again with the same paper using the "printer managed colors" setting vs. my calibrated monitor setting via Lightroom and the same results occurred; no banding on the 8.5X11 and light banding on the 13X19 prints. I then printed a second 13X19 image of a similar scene and there was no banding. It just may be the original negative (6X7 TMY ) may have minute banding that isn't readily apparent and was amplified when scanned.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Mike Reyburn

I’m no help, but there are some very knowledgeable people using this printer over on the luminous landscape site, you might try there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which paper feed are you using? I had similar banding using the front feed and needed to use a extra backing sheet to eliminate it.

Epson Legacy Fibre Paper was used for both size images. I have had problems with paper jams using the front "fine art" loader. Epson suggested feeding the larger sizes through the back, flip out port to eliminate jamming during loading. This appears to work very well and I have not experienced any loading jams using this procedure with the larger sizes. However, it will not work with the 8.5X11 size as I cannot feed it far enough to align the front with the guides.

I also observed the back of the paper is damaged from the feed roller when jamming occurs.

What type of paper did you use for a backing sheet?

Is the banding vertical or horizontal in relation to the printer? Do you have this issue with other papers? My first guess is that you’ve got a bad batch or damaged paper. Banding from a clogged head usually looks different than that, in my experience. Are the rollers clean? There could be something on the rollers contaminating the paper.