Thread: top 10

top 10

Todays top 10- Without question the best photographs ever!

10-Le Dome Boulevard, Montparnasse-Atget

9- Man reading newspaper in front of train station- the great Max Yavno

8- Marilyn Monroe centerfold, Playboy- yes I'm serious- Makes Westons nudes look like poured concrete

7-Michael Gabriel Rue Moufettard(the little kid with two wine bottles)-Cartier Bresson

6- Hand and foot- by me- It's my list dammit

5-American student in Rome- Ruth Orkin- I'd like to smack those gavoons. "Leave her alone"

4-Two water glasses- Irving Penn- one word- ZEN

3- Floating trees- Jery Uelssman

2-Migrant mother- the great Dorothea Lange

1- Moonrise Hernandez- 50 years of looking for photographs and he found the definitive one by glancing out his truck window. SEE, don't LOOK!!

Any a youze people tink ya got a betta list well bring it on mofo my list will kick y'ass

top 10

You got two out of ten. Not bad for a blind man.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

top 10

In the "raw energy" category, You left out the ubitquitous "Child on a Pony" taken by anonymous photographers over the span of the last 50 or so years. The honest expression on an excited child's face beats water glasses and floating trees any day of the week.

Oh, in the 'historically signicant" category, theres the photo of Mussolini and his girlfriend being beaten to death before they were hanged taken by an unnamed OSS agent(the name slips my mind---but thats OK) proving the US personnel were there and presumably had something to do with it, as well as the photograph of greek farmers with pitchforks repelling Nazi paratroopers landing on their island during WW2.

...and any photo of a child thats been frightened or hurt in war or peace(there are way too many of these) which prooves graphically that children do indeed suffer the stupidity of adults.

In the "travel" category, you've got Paris covered, but how about Yosemite? "Tourists driving car through tunnel tree" taken by almost anyone is my favorite.

In the "animal" category, don't forget "man with his horse" again a ubiquitous theme shot countless times but always the same---a 19th century farmer proudly standing next to his prized horse on a dirt road somewhere under a surreal sky (resulting from ortho film)

And any wedding picture, high school senior portrait, class photo and soldier(s) in uniform photograph ever taken since they pretty much all convey the same emotions in countless ways without becoming cliches.

Oh, don't forget "Hula Dancer on the beach at Waikiki" by 'Joe Tourist' ---makes M. M. look like sliced white bread by comparison.

Notice the names of the Photographers are missing? Thats because, with the exception of the Mussolini photo, the most important element is the image itself, interpretation is minimal. They could have been shot by seasoned pros or amateurs---and equipment is a non issue, they were taken with a hodge podge of cameras ranging from speed graphics to the brownie box.

Great photos are great IMHO because of content, not because of who happens to be snapping the shutter or who made the lens(or camera)

Thanks for making me think about this.

BTW, your list is a pretty good one too---so don't feel bad! ;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

top 10

Hi there,

Nice list but a few are missing:

Raising the Flag -_Iwo Jima

the Kiss _ Time Square

Oswald-Ruby _ Dallas

Earthrise _ the Moon

Street Execution _ Saigon

Unknowing winner _ Jim Clark

Twin Towers _ Brooklyn

Coastline at noon _ France

Berlin Wall falling _ Gremany

Child saved from well _ anywhere

The list is endless, but good fun trying to choose.

"And any wedding picture, high school senior portrait, class photo and soldier(s) in uniform photograph ever taken..."

Wow, golly gee, you mean you CAN actually hold detail from zone 2 thru 9. Whodathunkit. Just check your wedding album.

Have a great, good morning people.

top 10

Jack, can you put a link to the Max Yavno picture? I'm not familiar with it, and don't seem to be able to surf to it. Thanks.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

top 10

Too many 'popular' and 'historic' images getting mixed up with truly great images. If you think I'm making any suggestions here (other than my own work!), you're nutz. I'll bow out now as this thread starts to escalate out of control.....

top 10

Here's my favorites narrowed down to 10. They are all over the place.

History of a Jump - Thomas Eakins

Flatiron Building - Edward Steichen

Portrait of Robert Henri - Gertrude Kasebier

Blind Woman - Paul Strand

Dust Storm - Arthur Rothstein

Migrant Mother - Dorothea Lange

Hot Shot Eastbound - O. Winston Link

Tomoko in Her Bath - W. Eugene Smith

Jewish Giant - Diane Arbus

Petit's Mobil Station - George Tice

top 10

I wasn't aware HCB regularly used LF.

Seriously, I think that the number of non-LF posts is on the increase. To some extent, they help keep the forum active and people returning, but I think we should avoid it turning into a substitute for photo.net or apug.org etc. Before I post on a site, I ask myself whether that really is the most appropriate forum for the post, rather than just posting on the forum I always post on.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

top 10

Jack, do you have any idea how many great pictures come about by complete chance? There's a lot of AA's pics that he got by glancing over his shoulder and stopping to make the picture. I think that "Moonrise" is the only one where he jammed on the breaks and ran like mad to get the picture.

Here's one LF photo that people miss: the Hindenburg burning.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans