Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 with 4x10 camera?

Re: 4x5 with 4x10 camera?

Not just availability of film. 4x10 film would be special order or cut from 8x10 film. 4x10 film holders are not common items..

Beyond these two items, camera size, weight and support system, case for all items required including film in holders must be considered. Oh, there are lenses, film processing and more..

Using half a 4x10 might appear to be a reasonable-good idea until all the other factors are figured into the harsh reality of making 4x5 images with 4x10 system.

Bernice

You probably will want to be taking a lot more verticals with 4x5 than 4x10. That's going to be harder with a 4x10 camera that will need to be tilted with the tripod head for verticals. Also if you aren't doing contact prints but taking the digital route isn't there software that let's you 2 4x5's and easily blend them into a larger panoramic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    You probably will want to be taking a lot more verticals with 4x5 than 4x10. That's going to be harder with a 4x10 camera that will need to be tilted with the tripod head for verticals. Also if you aren't doing contact prints but taking the digital route isn't there software that let's you 2 4x5's and easily blend them into a larger panoramic.
    ah, digital I already have pentax 645D and fuji xe-3 to stitch if needed. But I have to say that even with digital cameras I dont like stitching. When using 645D 40Mpix allow just to crop and still have relatively nice file, but what a joy would be to have it all in one shot and with movements (no real options with tilt and shift for 645D). When I shot with canon I used tilt-shift lenses and used to stitch more often, but it is a pain if clouds or water or moving leaves/grass are in the frame. often possible but takes all the pleasure away mostly.

I see chamonix have an option for 4x10 foldable for a bit more than 2k, and a reducing back to 4x5 costs usd 215. another choice is their 45H-1 with an additional 4x10 back for around the same in total. on the other hand I can just get a used 4x5 or the Intrepid and save a ton of money.
    I still have a couple of months to think about it and might end up with just a 4x5, but I'm not giving up yet )

thank you all for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Not just availability of film. 4x10 film would be special order or cut from 8x10 film. 4x10 film holders are not common items..

Beyond these two items, camera size, weight and support system, case for all items required including film in holders must be considered. Oh, there are lenses, film processing and more..

Using half a 4x10 might appear to be a reasonable-good idea until all the other factors are figured into the harsh reality of making 4x5 images with 4x10 system.

Bernice
    I nearly always agree with you 100 percent, Bernice. But keep in mind the OP will be carrying equipment to make make both 4x5 and 4x10 images all or most of the time. That's my understanding anyway.

Coming out of left field a bit, how about 4x10 using an 8x10 camera? Versus a 4x10 camera, one can put guides in 8x10 film holders to hold 4x10 film. That would give you the advantage of both panorama and a "4x5" aspect ratio contact prints. The camera and film holders would be less expensive.

One can get 4x5 backs for many 8x10 cameras for the occasional 4x5 negative that can be enlarged. Though, you couldn't use very wide lenses without an 8x10 camera that accepts a bag bellows.

One advantage of an 8x10 used as a 4x10 is the ease of vertical 4x10s.
    Girders, Golden Gate Bridge, 4x10 negative, carbon print:

PS -- a friend scanned the Girders negative on a flatbed scanner (Epson V850 or something like that) then printed it about 3 feet by 7 feet...pretty sweet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Girders_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

You are getting more complicated as you move forward. A 4x5 back is simple, easy to carry and will work without all the screwing around you are looking at with getting the 4x10 back to take 4x5 film and your figuring accurate framing with your ground glass.
    Just get a 4x5 back and a lot of the problems folks bring up won't be in the mix.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

shoot 2x5

cut a darkslide in half lengthwise - get two exposures per 4x5 sheet

WAY cheaper than 4x10 and the same ratio and you can use your camera for 4x5 too

well, 8x10 would be ideal actually, but I am afraid it would also be financially and physically harder to deal with, even if using camera mostly for 4x10.
    Neil, I'm not sure what you mean by saying 4x10 camera and holders would be less expensive. I checked Chamonix site and 8x10 camera and holders cost more. though may be i should be looking at used stuff.

On holders, it depends. But as a rule, I purchase used.