Thread: Hello from Australia

Hello from Australia

Hey everyone! I'm here from Australia and have been keen on picking up a large format camera for a while. I've been a member for a little while already and have been checking out some of the awesome images shared here. I have finally jumped in and ordered a new 4x5 Intrepid camera and picked up a 150mm f/5.6 Fujinon lens to go along with it.

While I'm here I thought I might ask a question about which film to try first. I'm looking for a faster black and white film, something 400 or so speed that doesn't have too many quirks regarding general shooting and development. It would be for a varied mix of subjects. Some landscapes and portraits, anything really!

I'm tossing up between HP5+, TRI-X 320, T-MAX 400 or maybe Foma 400 to save some money. Does anyone have some tips on what to go for?

Cheers!

Re: Hello from Australia

First is that film choice is a very personal thing, you can get excellent results with any of those you mentioned.

IMHO it is way more important how you control a film than the film itself.

If you want 400 I'd start with HP5+ if price it is a factor, as Foma 400 should we shot at ISO 200 with common developers.

But you should also explore the different choices with roll film, as you would easily test the film in different situations and bracketings, this is a good way to learn what you like before you start buying many boxes of sheets.

Also you may consider ISO 100 films, like TMX, Delta 100 and FP4. This is because film with slower speed can record finer detail than faster ones, and this would allow you to judge if your shooting technique should be refined. If you review T-Max 100 vs 400 datasheets you will find the resolving power charts showing a clear difference. With 400 films you may get more image quality than you need, but with with 100 speed you are closer to catch all image quality the lens can offer with the kind of fine textures that can be found in practice.

HP5 is a great film, you basically can't go wrong with it. I think it's the best price/quality ratio film around.

Thanks very much for the replies. I have shot all the films except Foma 400 in smaller formats and enjoyed each so I was having trouble deciding. I've had great results with hp5 so it is probably the best to start with that.

I will also definitely get some finer 100 speed film once I have taken a few pictures. I just thought to start out 400 film would be a little easier, allowing for shorter shutter speeds, especially for portraits in natural light.

Thanks

There is one film you have left out, Bergger Pancro 400 B&W.

I have used it, when my current stash of HP5+ and Foma runs out, I'll probably switch to that as my go too 400 ASA film.

Not cheap, but pretty incredible results for either darkroom printing or scanning.

http://bergger.com/bergger-pancro-40...ore=bergger_fr

Available in Australia from here, which is about 100km from Melbourne.

https://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au...ancro400sheet/

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    There is one film you have left out, Bergger Pancro 400 B&W.

I have used it, when my current stash of HP5+ and Foma runs out, I'll probably switch to that as my go too 400 ASA film.

Not cheap, but pretty incredible results for either darkroom printing or scanning.

http://bergger.com/bergger-pancro-40...ore=bergger_fr

Available in Australia from here, which is about 100km from Melbourne.

https://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au...ancro400sheet/

Mick.
    That's expensive at $105 for 25 sheets of 4x5. By comparison it's $33 USD at B&H.