Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Experiment - Developer + selenium

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    289

    Experiment - Developer + selenium

    In case you were wondering what happens when you add Selenium to LPD Paper developer....

    I had some LPD with some age on it and decided to use it up but on a whim added 25-30mls of selenium to the the 500mls of LPD 1:2 working strength then topped up to make a liter. I ran the print through normal LPD 1:2 for 2 minutes for most of the development, then I dunked the print into the Selenium mixture , then stop bath, fix, rinse, hypo clear, and wash as usual. I gave these extra wash time.

    At 30 seconds in the selenium mixture the paper shifted to a creamy fogged color where it was previously white while dark silver tones took on a cold bluish cast. Darktones deepened dramatically.
    Repeated with second image at 10 seconds and the fogging still occurred but was not as extreme. Blacks still turned toward blue.
    Even 5 seconds gave a fogged look to the highlights but the blue-black is not as extreme.
    Paper was Ilford MGFB Classic Glossy

    The developer-selenium mixture was a dark gray after 5 or six prints through the solution and the stop and fix became contaminated but still worked for my few remaining prints.

    If anyone wants to repeat my experiment I would recommend starting with even less selenium maybe only 10mls per liter. I would be interesting to hear of results with different developers and papers.
    It might even make for an interesting second pass developer after bleaching and may not be as extreme due to less silver in the processed paper.
    The mountain waters of North Georgia call out to me, I visit and leave only tripod holes behind. The Appalachian Trail is my treadmill and gym.
    http://www.esearing.com

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Experiment - Developer + selenium

    I assume you used selenium toner, not elemental selenium. In which case, note that there is thiosulfate (fixer) present in most (all?) commercial selenium toners, which complicates matters, which is also true for ammonia. The thiosulfate will obviously partially fix the latent image while the ammonia could very well play a role in the formation of fog. But of course, since silver is more noble than selenium, bringing a silver halide in contact with selenium will result in the silver stealing an electron and becoming metallic at the expense of the selenium. So fog is a natural consequence.

    If you want to promote warmer colors during development, try adding a little (!) ammonium chloride to the developer.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Oregon and Austria
    Posts
    2,036

    Re: Experiment - Developer + selenium

    I don't know really that this would cause a lot of fog, rather selenium toning of the unexposed silver halides that had not yet been fixed out. This would explain the "creamy whites" the OP experienced. Or maybe it's a two-step process: the silver halides react with the selenium forming the fog and then this gets toned by the selenium as well. I imagine that this technique might be useful (if it could be tamed enough) for those who don't like the bright white base of most papers these days.

    Doremus

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Suwanee, GA
    Posts
    289

    Re: Experiment - Developer + selenium

    Koraks, thanks for the tip about the Ammonium Chloride. I used Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner so yes it has some fixer built in which is why I only used a small amount. Nice to know the science behind it.

    I know Alum (sulphate of Aluminum and Potassium) is used in the tanning industry for dyeing sepia/brown tones. I wonder if it would mix well with a developer since it already contains Potassium Bromide.
    Last edited by esearing; 5-Jul-2018 at 12:34.
    The mountain waters of North Georgia call out to me, I visit and leave only tripod holes behind. The Appalachian Trail is my treadmill and gym.
    http://www.esearing.com

Similar Threads

  1. Pt/Pd Paper experiment
    By Nasser in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-May-2013, 03:08
  2. Developer experiment
    By Shen45 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-Jul-2008, 06:49
  3. Really, really old film experiment
    By Jim Graves in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2008, 19:30
  4. Developer capacity - an experiment
    By Kevin M Bourque in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2001, 11:42
  5. Tube Developer Experiment Results
    By Erik Ryberg in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7-Oct-1998, 11:06

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •