Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Zone VI Field Camera

Re: Early Zone VI Field Camera

I studied the bottom tripod plates of mine and HMG's(his version 2) and the place of the tripod holes is different in that the modified version has a hole dead center and a rear hole closer to the rear edge. 3 more screws as well. It does look a little beefier but I wonder in practicality how much difference it made. How much heavier is the 2nd version?

FWIW, my '82 Tachihara had a sliding back mechanism, unlike the fixed-back cameras that scm has shown. I'll bet that there were small variations throughout the production life of all these cameras.

Thanks, SCM. I now know for sure, too, that mine is most definitely a first generation Zone VI; which makes perfect sense given when I bought the outfit. I remember working a second job, at the time, for about six months in order to afford the outfit. Never regretted it and I've made some of my best images with that camera.

Thanks Doremus, Looks like I have "4. 1988- Zone VI “Made by Zone VI Studios Newfane Vermont, USA.”".

I have Fred's video -> DVD on my google cloud account. You need better then DSL to download it. I had a friend upload it for me. 0$
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

For more information, there is a write-up in the January/February 2003 edition of View Camera magazine on page 34, written by Richard T. Ritter and titled "The Zone VI Camera The Fred Picker Era."
    The article reveals that my camera, is one of the last Honduran Mahogany models, ("numbers began at 1,000 and went to about 4,500."). It has the bale assisted opener back and the gold plated hardware, and 22" bellows, large knobs with aggressive textured knurling. The name plate states: "Made by Zone VI Studios, Newfane, Vt". The serial number stamped on top of the top side of the tripod mount is #4,627, view-able on the top side of the camera base, (under the bellows). I purchased this used a couple of years ago in like new, perfect condition, literately no marks on it anywhere. I use it with appropriate care. It is indeed a well thought out designed and built camera that is a joy to use, tho it really attracts a crowd. I've added a borosilicate ground-glass w/ extra-fine grind and grid lines, made for me by Steve Hopf, which I like much better than the original GG/fresnal combo.

Hwere is what I know about cameras offered by Zone VI over the years.

Zone VI Camera History

Notes from an article by Richard Ritter in View Camera Magazine, Jan-Feb 2003 issue. later article by Ron Wisner offers a different view of this history.

1970s
    Name plate:
    “Zone VI”
    Made by Tachihara, Japan ,
    Cherry wood, chrome plated fittings.
    Single focusing rail, 12” bellows extension

Name plate:
    “Specially Made for Zone VI”
    Made by Wista
    Single focusing rail, 12” bellows
    Modified by changing to a more robust base plate.

1986 (not in catalog till ’87)
    Name plate :
    “The Zone VI Classic, Made for Zone VI Studios, Newfane VT
    Made by Wisner Classic Mfg. Co., Marion Mass”.
    Mahogany and polished brass.
    Double focusing rail, Interchangable bellows
    <150 units produced by 1988
    S/N Range :100-250

1988 : Ron Wisner no longer associated with Zone VI Studios

Name Plate:
    “Zone VI, Made By Zone VI Studios, Newfane Vermont USA”
    They jobbed-out parts locally and assembled them at the Studio.
    +3000 units built
    Mahogany wood, Brass fittings. S/N Range: 1,000 - 4,500 (with gaps)

Larger knobs, GG Loading Bail
    Walnut and Cherry models (limited run) S/N in 9,000 range

Gold Plated Fittings
    1,800 units S/N range :3,000-4,000 .

Calumet bought Zone VI Studios and marketed the same camera. Then changed to black anodized aluminum fittings. Called it the “Lightweight”
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Deary View Post
    Here is a description of my Zone VI camera that was sold in the late 70’s or early 80’s... For what it’s worth there is a faint #13 stamped on the base when rail is racked out(one of the first models sold?)

So unless someone out there is more knowledgable and can provide more insight I have to conclude my particular Zone VI model is the same as the Tachihara’s and Wista’s Field 45.
    I just purchased a Tachihara "Fiel Stand 45" and except for the ground glass (mine is plain) and the base (only one tripod screw hole) it's identical to the OP's. Most notable is that mine has "15" stamped in the underside of the base.

Duplicate Post
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 20-Aug-2023 at 06:20.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Arca-Swiss

Fred,

fudged a lot of info to fit his persona and that of Zone VI. Wista did make cameras that were rebadged after the Tacihara, for Zone VI. The Wista 4x5 never came with silver metal like yours, so yours was definitely manufactured by

Tachihara.

Anything with gold metal is probably rebadged Wista. Also he never wanted the Wista bodies with Shift in the rear, so the rebadged ones will never have shift. You have to use swings on front and rear to create shift. You rarely see a Wista without shift, but you could order it that way.

He stuck with those until he tried to team up with Ron Wisner. That was an explosion of too immense egos that finally blew up. Then Fred tried to recruit furniture makers to build the camera, with disastrous results for the first, about 2 years. Cameras are a lot more precise than furniture. So there are some of those late Wisner/Zone VI cameras around which leave some fit and finish quality to be questioned.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    Fred,

He stuck with those until he tried to team up with Ron Wisner. That was an explosion of too immense egos that finally blew up. Then Fred tried to recruit furniture makers to build the camera, with disastrous results for the first, about 2 years. Cameras are a lot more precise than furniture. So there are some of those late Wisner/Zone VI cameras around which leave some fit and finish quality to be questioned.

Rod
    Most of the early made cameras have been burned as fire wood. There were about 100 made.
    The bulk of the cameras made you can take camera number 500 and number 750 and number 3000. Take then apart and put back together using parts from the different runs.

I an using a camera that is made from 3 different runs. Part of it is walnut,cherry and mahogany
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net