Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3d printed MOD75 for devolping 5x7 sheets

3d printed MOD75 for devolping 5x7 sheets

I got a 5x7 camera that I haven't used a lot because of the hassle of developing the film.
    I'm sketching on a 3d-printable version of the MOD54 to try end make it a little easier.
    Hoping it will work the same when scaled up.
    It won't work i a regular Paterson tank instead I'm using the larger Jobo MultiTank 5.

I'll make a testprint in the weekend
    Any suggestions on impovemetns?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mod 75.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	179868

Re: 3d printed MOD75 for devolping 5x7 sheets

I can’t help you with this since I don’t use 5x7”.
    But if you design a 4x5 version for use with Paterson, I’ll be happy because Mod54 is quite expensive.

I have a 5x7 I’ve had for a couple of years but haven’t used it for the same issue. I’d love to hear more about when you test.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by OeT View Post
    I got a 5x7 camera that I haven't used a lot because of the hassle of developing the film.
    I'm sketching on a 3d-printable version of the MOD54 to try end make it a little easier.
    Hoping it will work the same when scaled up.
    It won't work i a regular Paterson tank instead I'm using the larger Jobo MultiTank 5.

I'll make a testprint in the weekend
    Any suggestions on impovemetns?

Name:	mod 75.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	179868
    Before you do this, you might want to think about intellectual property of the MOD45 design.

This is unlikely to have been patented, but probably is a registered design. You just can't reproduce a design, even when scaled up to 5x7.

Just a remark from my experience using 3D prototyping: do not make this as a single piece. Certainly not with a typical hobby printer. You'll need a huge lot of support structure to build it and when it goes wrong halfway up, you have lost a great deal of time and material.

Just a suggestion, but I'd change the following:
    - use a store bought tube for the center
    - make the top and bottom pieces to be glued or clipsed onto the central column
    - make the intermediate "anchors" also to be glued or clipsed onto the column
    - instead of clipses or glue, you could just make holes in the column and 3D parts and fit a plastic dowel or plastic screw/bolt

This way you end up with a straight column and if a 3D print goes wrong, you only lost a single piece. Also easy to add extra anchors in the middle, certainly if they clips.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Why not just tray process the film? No patent infringement questions involved at all.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Just a remark from my experience using 3D prototyping: do not make this as a single piece. Certainly not with a typical hobby printer. You'll need a huge lot of support structure to build it and when it goes wrong halfway up, you have lost a great deal of time and material.

Just a suggestion, but I'd change the following:
    - use a store bought tube for the center
    - make the top and bottom pieces to be glued or clipsed onto the central column
    - make the intermediate "anchors" also to be glued or clipsed onto the column
    - instead of clipses or glue, you could just make holes in the column and 3D parts and fit a plastic dowel or plastic screw/bolt

This way you end up with a straight column and if a 3D print goes wrong, you only lost a single piece. Also easy to add extra anchors in the middle, certainly if they clips.
    It will be printed in five parts all with flat side down.
    I think the center will be just fine to print, it's not a "solid" center instead a "sprocket" center to allow for some flex.

Name:	mod 75.2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	179983

I don't have a darkroom and find it simpler to use tanks.

I think the center will be just fine to print, it's not a "solid" center instead a "sprocket" center to allow for some flex.

Ok, that's fine to print.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

3d printed MOD75 for devolping 5x7 sheets

Simplify your design more. Right now it looks like each part is unique. Even the 2 end pieces looks a little different and the parts with columns look to have different heights on the column.

Make the 2 end pieces exactly the same. The two parts with the columns exactly the same and then a unique middle peace that’s basically just flat and then the two columns go into the middle peace.

Also put some notches where things connect so thy align properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams