Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Postcard Printing: Jigs, Easels, or other suggestions for silver gelatin postcards

Re: Postcard Printing: Jigs, Easels, or other suggestions for silver gelatin postcard

I am also considering that, but I currently don't have a SE in this size. Doesn't seem to be one on eBay right now. Lots of 3.5 x 5 inch ones though, and other odd-ball sizes. I'll have to watch and see if one pops up.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Postcard Printing: Jigs, Easels, or other suggestions for silver gelatin postcard

A while back made up dozens of post cards for a show opening. Did a digital mock up of three cards which easily fit on an 8x10. Made a digital negative and contact printed three card images at a time on each sheet of 8x10 paper. Group processed 6 sheets of paper at a time which gave me 18 final post cards per each batch processing run of prints. Prints were held in a water bath after fixing, then all run through hypo clear and a final wash in 2 separate 20x24" trays using two Kodak syphon washers. Also included guide lines outside of the image which helped me greatly in cutting up the final post cards. Reverse side text was digitally printed after the cards were dry and cut up.

Board, thin foam with cutout for size of your postcard, sheet of glass with tape hinge. The foam should flatten under weight of the glass or you can add a couple of layers of scrap paper to build up the height in the cutout.
    You can then tape your overlay with text to the foam. You can likely buy all this at a hobby store for under $20.

Metal and sheet/strip magnets is another alternative for small jigs.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Have you tried running a finished postcard print through an inkjet printer to see how well the text will print? Might give an effect like the foil stamped signatures many portrait studios used to put on thier work.

Gary, check out the Ilford postcards. RC paper, ready to mail. No inkjet necessary. Quite a nice product.

Today on NPR I heard a news story, and the reporter quipped that those under 30 might not know what a postcard even is!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Gary, check out the Ilford postcards. RC paper, ready to mail. No inkjet necessary. Quite a nice product.

Today on NPR I heard a news story, and the reporter quipped that those under 30 might not know what a postcard even is!
    Don't sell them as postcards. Sell them as "pure analog Instagram posts".

But they aren't square!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Gary, check out the Ilford postcards. RC paper, ready to mail. No inkjet necessary. Quite a nice product:
    I was thinking more along the line of the front of the card, your signature or logo in the lower corner of the image. I do have a box of kodabromide postcards, no idea how old they are but last time I used them they were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    ...I do have a box of kodabromide postcards, no idea how old they are but last time I used them they were good.
    I also have boxes of Kodabromide postcard paper and was surprised they turned out fine when I developed a few recently. Might be an ever so faint base fog but only if compared side by side to new paper. I actually prefer the feel of the Kodabromide paper vs the rc Ilford cards.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Postcards are not dead yet. Maybe a retro comeback. My water bill and license plate renewal come on postcards.

Look at this ‘new’ postcard.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-newsletter01