Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone modified their CB-7 Beseler enlarger for 5x7 ?

Eric Woodbury

Has anyone modified their CB-7 Beseler enlarger for 5x7 ?

I have two enlargers that I'm using: CB7 and 45M. The latter is heavily modified with the Ross 8x10 adapter plus extra tilts / swings for easy (easier) alignment. Also changed the negative stage to hold glass negative holders. The CB7 is dedicated to roll-film negs. I'm considering giving the CB7 more duties by adding an LED head that can handle 5x7. To do this, I'd remove the upper bellows and its support for the coldlight (or condenser). After that I'm a bit fuzzy, but to get the 5x7 image to clear the hole at the negative stage, there would need to be another level above, much like the 8x10 adapter.

Have any of my fellow CB7 users ripped into their enlarger with similar modifications?

Is it true that some 5x7 CB7s were made?

Thanks in advance.

Film is best.

EW

Re: Has anyone modified their CB-7 Beseler enlarger for 5x7 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I have two enlargers that I'm using: CB7 and 45M. The latter is heavily modified with the Ross 8x10 adapter plus extra tilts / swings for easy (easier) alignment. Also changed the negative stage to hold glass negative holders. The CB7 is dedicated to roll-film negs. I'm considering giving the CB7 more duties by adding an LED head that can handle 5x7. To do this, I'd remove the upper bellows and its support for the coldlight (or condenser). After that I'm a bit fuzzy, but to get the 5x7 image to clear the hole at the negative stage, there would need to be another level above, much like the 8x10 adapter.

Have any of my fellow CB7 users ripped into their enlarger with similar modifications?

Thanks in advance.

Film is best.

EW
    No 57 CB7 enlargers were made. A version of the M series was made in 57.

Why did you modify the M for glass carriers instead of just getting a Beseler glass carrier?

Why not look at how Beseler set up the 5x7 head and model after it with your LED lighting? They were 45M enlargers with a cold light head on top. Not sure if the rest was modified but they did take a full 5x7 negative and worked well.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Just saw this thread. I recently found my Beseler M57 cold light head, bellows and the rest in storage. I recycled the chassis as it was very rusty.

If still interested LMK.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post

Thanks in advance.

Film is best.

EW
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Just saw this thread. I recently found my Beseler M57 cold light head, bellows and the rest in storage. I recycled the chassis as it was very rusty.

If still interested LMK.
    I take it that the 57M is essentially a scaled up version of the 5x4? As opposed to how the 8x10 conversions worked? Am also looking at building an 8x10 conversion for my CB7.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I take it that the 57M is essentially a scaled up version of the 5x4? As opposed to how the 8x10 conversions worked? Am also looking at building an 8x10 conversion for my CB7.
    No the M45 chassis was used and the 5X7 hung on the same crossbar as the 45.

That's why I didn't keep the M57 chassis.
    Tin Can

No the M45 chassis was used and the 5X7 hung on the same crossbar as the 45.

That's why I didn't keep the M57 chassis.
    Ah, OK, I meant the bellows/ neg stage/ light source, as opposed to the core chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Ah, OK, I meant the bellows/ neg stage/ light source, as opposed to the core chassis.
    The CB7 can use the same 8X10 conversion as the Beseler 45V-XL.

All heads interchange. I have 2 CB7 and 1 45V-XL.
    Tin Can

Older thread with pics of 57MB head.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1366777
    Tin Can

The CB7 can use the same 8X10 conversion as the Beseler 45V-XL.

All heads interchange. I have 2 CB7 and 1 45V-XL.
    Good to know - cheers! Was slightly worried that the CB7 might have had some unique components in that regard.