Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ulf and Ilford!

Ulf and Ilford!

So, why do you think Ilford are asking ULFers for input? Some kind of a subtle British joke - a overactive sense of the absurd? A sadistic plot by a group of twisted minds to lull ULF photographers in to a sense of complacency, only to pull the rug out from under them later on???

Or, is it just possible that the management buyout team, having put their own houses and pensions on the line are trying to make a success of the business they are in by meeting the needs of photographers as best they can on limited resources whilst maintaining commercial success?

Don't ask, don't get. Ask, and if you are lucky, and if the wind is blowing from the right direction, and the moon is in a suitable phase, who knows what is possible?

Ulf and Ilford!

The current company making Ilford film is a new company. It may have the rights to use the Ilford name for film but it's not the same Ilford that wanted to push inkjet paper on you. If you want to hold a grudge hold with the company making inkjet paper.

Or didn't the old Ilford sell the film division off to management?

Ulf and Ilford!

"So, why do you think Ilford are asking ULFers for input? Some kind of a subtle British joke..."

Nothing nefarious regarding the company. But, let me ask you, if your company had a Marketing Director that offered something to a customer and then ignored their response which was civil and included a request to take them up on their offer of providing information and assistance, what would you think? I don't think the company is trying to pull some absurd joke (although I find it curious that thought comes to your mind). I suggest the lack of response was from an individual who either was insincere, incompetant, overwhelmed, or a combination of those things. If so, IMO, he shouldn't be making offers or even in a position to make such offers.

Let me ask another question: Why is Ilford even asking such a question on the internet? Maybe it is a good PR thing, but shouldn't their marketing people already have a pretty good handle on supply and demand? (Or is that potential incompetant marketing aspect rearing its head again?) Is getting a response from a biased sample of individuals on internet forums truly reflective of the market and how much sway should such a sample hold? Wouldn't a more scientific polling be a better indicator of the actual demand and potential sales?

"If you want to hold a grudge hold with the company making inkjet paper."

Who's holding a "grudge" against the company? I'm pointing out that the exact same individual, the Marketing Director both then and now, who told me one thing and never came through, is now soliciting input and that based on his previous behavior, I simply don't believe he is sincere. If everyone else wants to optimistic and believe he is sincere, go ahead. I'm cynical based on my past interaction with him.

If someone offered you help and then never came through, would you believe them again the second time around? What opinion would you hold? Post a contrary experience involving him and perhaps I'll change my opinion regarding his effectiveness and agenda.

FYI, I have visited the Ilfopro site and contributed my input regarding films.