Thread: Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi

I'm heading to Abi Dhabi in sept for work. I'm very excited. I will definitely be taking my 4x5.

My initial research is not coming up with much for siteseeing, besides the grand mosque. I don't really shoot much urban landscape, mostly natural landscape. What kind of views can I find outside the city? Whenever I'm traveling I always suspect there's some beauty just outside where the tourists hang out.

What are the photo rules in the grand mosque? is it LF friendly? or should I plan to go handheld?
    aaronamodt.com

Re: Abu Dhabi

Sand, lots of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Sand, lots of sand.
    LOL
    Hay bob, do not waste money reviewing eye doctor,
    Go strait directly to a brain doctor

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by baronvonaaron View Post
    I'm heading to Abi Dhabi in sept for work. I'm very excited. I will definitely be taking my 4x5.
    My initial research is not coming up with much for siteseeing, besides the grand mosque. I don't really shoot much urban landscape, mostly natural landscape. What kind of views can I find outside the city? Whenever I'm traveling I always suspect there's some beauty just outside where the tourists hang out.
    What are the photo rules in the grand mosque? is it LF friendly? or should I plan to go handheld?
    Hello baronvonaaron,
    Please review: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/united-arab-emirates
    I'm sure lots of websites show the country.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

I have not been to Abu Dhabi, but have lived elsewhere in the Arabian Peninsula and Middle East. Very very few, if any, mosques will allow you to use a tripod inside without permit, and without being accompanied by someone. You may be allowed to use a tripod in the gardens around the mosque, but I wouldn't count on it, certainly not during prayer times. Bring both tripod and handheld, and approach a guard and ask when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Sand, lots of sand.
    Very true.

I've been there - many years ago, so I suspect that things have changed somewhat.

Obviously, desertscape opportunities abound. And there is some really spectacular architecture, perhaps more a short drive away in Dubai than in Abu Dhabi.

If you want some really dramatic landscapes, Oman is nearby (a short flight) and is really spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Very very few, if any, mosques will allow you to use a tripod inside without permit, and without being accompanied by someone.
    This is what I suspected. Most religious landmarks I've visited have had rules like this. I'll do some more research.
    aaronamodt.com

One thing I have heard about in Dubai is to be very careful to not appear to be shooting scenes with people In them, or it could land you in jail, even a casual snapshot with a cameraphone...

Research beforehand what is OK first, from official channels, and ask again when you are there...

Steve K

A local fixer to be hired out may be feasible. Ask your employer for any names, or ask trusted friends in Dubai. The fixer will drive, translate, and know the local customs and sensibilities. if you are unsure, ask a friend to go with you.

Abu Dhabi is a very modern city with many Skyscrapers or at least we in Switzerland would call them so! I was only one day in last spring there, we was on a cruise, it was the most clean city we found in this era!
    And yes just on the other side of the water you see sand......!!!