Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you store and organize your extra equipment

how do you store and organize your extra equipment

I know that the title may sound like the most stupid question of the year but I just bought a bunch of new ( to me ) gear.

It seems like The lady I bought it from was finding more and more equipment until I arrived.

I didn't think much of it until I arrived at my moms house, where my darkroom is and I store some of my less loved camera equipment before I realized that I have extension backs for one camera here, a tripod there, and I myself am starting to loose track of my LF gear.

I do plan on selling some, but I had better get a handle on this soon.

So I am wondering how others keep their gear organized without renting a warehouse.

Foamer

Re: how do you store and organize your extra equipment

Simple. If I can't find something, I buy another one.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Lenses are in a safe, cameras are either in the safe, darkroom, or library. Tripods are in the darkroom and library.

for reasons of moisture or water damage, I don't store any cameras or lenses in the darkroom.

I've got a couple fishing reel cases and a tool cart for lens/camera storage.

I load up storage boxes and label them 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 12x20, film developing, printing, etc....the black and yellow ones from Costco when they have them on sale hold a lot.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

A tall locking file cabinet is good for parts, accys, lenses, backs etc... Cases and footlockers are good for longer term gear storage, and you can download into bags, smaller cases, etc when ready to go shooting...

Having a spare closet is a good thing...

Storing stuff where it can get too hot, cold, damp, dry, dusty, lost are to be avoided... Something that does not trap moisture inside and can breathe a little will help prevent mold/fungus or excessive outgassing of synthetic materials...

Steve K

Thanks for all the answers, and good ideas everyone

Kent, I like your answer the best, however some of my gear appears to be rare or at least hard to find,

I think the filing cabinet is the best real life idea Steve,

Luis, the lens safe idea sounds good. I am wondering if a gun safe would have vents. They should be readily available in my moms town with several people giving up hunting and their gun collections.

jP,
    Fishing reel cases are ideal for my job. Working on the road driving bus or trucks.

And John,
    That is exactly how I store my darkroom supplies.

The cameras that I use are packed in camera bags along with the accessories that are needed to shoot with (loupe, meter, dark cloth, film holders etc.) My 4x5 kit is in an old LowePro "Magnum 35" shoulder bag. The 8x10 Kodak 2D is in an older model LowePro backpack (super Trekker AW). These are grab-n-go kits that lack only fresh film loaded in film holders. Tripods are strapped to the bags. These bags are kept in my cloths closet under the sport coasts, shirts and pants.

Lighting equipment and other stuff lives in hard shell lapp-top computer bags, also in that closet. Cameras and other gear that is not often used is stored in small cabinets; available but out of sight.

All my bags and cases were bought used.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

A friend with a different combination of family obligations, living space and personal resources holds most of his extensive collection of lenses, camera bodies and other LF gear in two large tool storage cabinets. Made of heavy gauge metal, with deep and shallow drawers on casters; they can be moved around his open-plan loft style space and they are lockable
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I rent a storage room, then forget what's in there.