Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon LF sensor

Re: Canon LF sensor

Maybe I missed it, but there is no information on pixel size for the big sensor. Given the trade-off between pixel size and light sensitivity, the pixels are probably quite large, so the resolution may not be that great. I think their goal was a very sensitive sensor, and to have reasonable resolution, they had to make it big.

This is meant for scientific and industrial use. Frm the article it was used for astronomy at the KISO observatory in Japan. (check their site, thei have a great scanner for plates) So they probably also cooled it to 170K or something like that.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Why would you use an RB (Rotating Back) with a square format?
    PD: this information is wrong:

Mark, in this case R is for Reflex not for Rotating. Graflex RB vs Mamiya RB, they are using same letters from different words.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 21-Jun-2018 at 15:54. Reason: PD: this information is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Big sensors are used in astronomical telescopes.

ESA's Gaia mission telescope had 106 MF sensors combined in a composite sensor covering 3800 cm2.

Eric Woodbury

When you order your copy of this sensor, don't forget to order a lens with 300 mm image circle and a usable aperture of f/1.6. Diffraction limited.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Mark, in this case R is for Reflex not for Rotating. Graflex RB vs Mamiya RB, they are using same letters from different words.
    Now you've got me curious, as I used to use an RB pretty regularly... None of Mamiya's other reflexes (Mamiya 645, C220, C-330, or other TLR or 35mm SLRs) used the letter R to distinguish that feature. And Camera-wiki.org states, "The naming of the camera RB67 stood for Rotating Back 6 × 7", (http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Mamiya_RB67#Bibliography).

Do you have any source for RB standing for Reflex, not Rotating or Revolving? And what did the B stand for?

Either way, an 8x8-inch digital back would be pointless on a 6x7-cm camera...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Now you've got me curious, as I used to use an RB pretty regularly... None of Mamiya's other reflexes (Mamiya 645, C220, C-330, or other TLR or 35mm SLRs) used the letter R to distinguish that feature. And Camera-wiki.org states, "The naming of the camera RB67 stood for Rotating Back 6 × 7", (http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Mamiya_RB67#Bibliography).

Do you have any source for RB standing for Reflex, not Rotating or Revolving? And what did the B stand for?

Either way, an 8x8-inch digital back would be pointless on a 6x7-cm camera...
    Mark, sorry, I was mistaken, the Graflex RB is for Revolving Back. https://graflex.org/articles/series-d/

I relied in a bad source.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    When you order your copy of this sensor, don't forget to order a lens with 300 mm image circle and a usable aperture of f/1.6. Diffraction limited.
    I understand the need for the image circle, but why would it need to be f/1.6? Certainly if the sensor is touted to be usable in 0.3 lux scenes.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Eric Woodbury

Lenses are limited in their ability to focus a point. It's called the diffraction limit. The faster the lens, the smaller the spot you can focus. The sensor in question here has 2 micron pixels. To get an infinitely small spot to focus into a pixel that size with green light (at least most of it, first null of the Airy disk), requires this insane f-number. There are some ways to get around this problem, but not practical for normal humans.

BTW, they still fly film in U-2s. Film is good stuff at a bargain price (relatively speaking).
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Lenses are limited in their ability to focus a point. It's called the diffraction limit. The faster the lens, the smaller the spot you can focus. The sensor in question here has 2 micron pixels. To get an infinitely small spot to focus into a pixel that size with green light (at least most of it, first null of the Airy disk), requires this insane f-number. There are some ways to get around this problem, but not practical for normal humans.

BTW, they still fly film in U-2s. Film is good stuff at a bargain price (relatively speaking).
    f/1.6 is not necessary, 2 micron lines is 4 micron for a line pair, this is 1/0.004 = 250 lp/mm. Difraction limit at f/5.6 is 283 lp/mm, so in theory a f/5.6 lens can outresolve that giant sensor.

A suitable a lens for that sensor (if we want matching resolving power) may weight around 30kg, with best sharpness in the center at some f/4, and acceptable performance across all the field by some f/11, if one takes a look to some HiRes aerial designs that were popular.

But it would not be necessary to use a lens that outresolves the sensor. A Nikon D3400 also has usually much more pixels than the popular lenses are able to resolve...