Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman 33a Missing 5x7 Back

Eastman 33a Missing 5x7 Back

In a(nother) moment of weakness, I purchased an Eastman 33a 5x7 box with lenses etc on the big auction site. The camera is in
    decent shape. But I failed to recognize amongst the 12 images is that it has no back whatsoever. Lenses with multiple boards, film carriers but nothing on the back.

Seller refused to cancel order but I am able to return it - $24 ups

I've looked and these are not common cameras though they were entry level in the 30's. I have also thought that possibly another 5x7 back with ground glass would fit the 33, but nobody knows yes or no and the prices of the backs are generally more than I paid for the camera.

So questions:
    1. Back compatibility - is there a 5x7 back that would work?
    2. Possible to make one?
    3. Just return the camera?
    4. Keep what I want and part out the rest?

Opinions Welcome

Thanks Mick

Re: Eastman 33a Missing 5x7 Back

I've improvised a 4x5 back for a 5x7 B&J camera from a piece of plywood and a 4x5 back from a salvaged Speed Graphic. It was a simple job with basic woodworking tools. If your lenses cover 5x7, they will be more suited to view camera movements than the lenses that often come on 4x5 cameras and only cover that format.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I've improvised a 4x5 back for a 5x7 B&J camera from a piece of plywood and a 4x5 back from a salvaged Speed Graphic. It was a simple job with basic woodworking tools. If your lenses cover 5x7, they will be more suited to view camera movements than the lenses that often come on 4x5 cameras and only cover that format.
    I did the same thing with a 5x7 Gundlach. It came with no back so I cobbled together a 4x5 back and used that until I finally found an original 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
    I did the same thing with a 5x7 Gundlach. It came with no back so I cobbled together a 4x5 back and used that until I finally found an original 5x7.
    Thanks. How does the made back attach to the box? Improvised clips from velcro or tape? Could I start with a B&J 5x7 back with the ground glass?

Quote Originally Posted by mickjazz View Post
    Thanks. How does the made back attach to the box? Improvised clips from velcro or tape? Could I start with a B&J 5x7 back with the ground glass?
    The Gundlach has pins in the back that lock into latches on the camera, I cut the heads off nails and hammered them into my plywood back in the appropriate places.

As to your question, I don't know. I'm new at LF and don't know enough about the 33a or B&J back to give you a definite back. However, with a little ingenuity anything is usually possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
    The Gundlach has pins in the back that lock into latches on the camera, I cut the heads off nails and hammered them into my plywood back in the appropriate places.

As to your question, I don't know. I'm new at LF and don't know enough about the 33a or B&J back to give you a definite back. However, with a little ingenuity anything is usually possible.
    Thank you. You're correct and lf cameras don't have reqs in terms of shots per second. There's time to unlatch or untap the back, insert the film holder, expose the film and remove it

Mick

the 33a has a smaller outside diameter than most other 5x7's including the Eastman Kodak 2d, so it shouldn't be too hard to take a back from something else and modify it to fit. If you need any dimensions off of a 33 back, I can measure them for you.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DMS206 View Post
    the 33a has a smaller outside diameter than most other 5x7's including the Eastman Kodak 2d, so it shouldn't be too hard to take a back from something else and modify it to fit. If you need any dimensions off of a 33 back, I can measure them for you.
    Dave
    Thx Dave

The dimensions will help. Including the thickness of the 33 back

Also those of the glass opening

Thanks again

I also have a 33a - I would say it is worthwhile making a back if the bellows is in good condition. It shouldn't be to difficult, and then you would have a 5X7 camera that is not any heavier than a 4X5 Speed Graphic.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I also have a 33a - I would say it is worthwhile making a back if the bellows is in good condition. It shouldn't be to difficult, and then you would have a 5X7 camera that is not any heavier than a 4X5 Speed Graphic.
    Yeah there was a thread on this or another of forum 8,9 years ago. Someone had a 33 - not 33a. He liked it except not much movement. He committed that people were drawn to it.

M