Thread: Makeup basics (portraits)

Makeup basics (portraits)

Looking for some basics on makeup for female portraits. Primarily foundation and lipstick. Understated in usage. I want to inch forward my awareness/skills on this.

SergeiR on this site has made a few comments. Most comments I have found say to "get a makeup artist", or "the subject did her own makeup". I'm looking for additional points of view.

I want to be able to know what I am looking for and to help the subject achieve it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Makeup basics (portraits)

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Looking for some basics on makeup for female portraits. Primarily foundation and lipstick. Understated in usage. I want to inch forward my awareness/skills on this.

SergeiR on this site has made a few comments. Most comments I have found say to "get a makeup artist", or "the subject did her own makeup". I'm looking for additional points of view.

I want to be able to know what I am looking for and to help the subject achieve it. Thanks in advance.
    I shot model portfolios in my studio in the 80s. Before I started this endeavor, I went to Famous-Barr, which is now Macy's and bought a nice make-up kit for the aspiring models to use before the shoot. Most of them were in their early 20s and were well versed in applying their own make-up, to my relief. Since I shot the portfolios for no profit, I couldn't afford to hire an artist. YMMV, of course.

My 12 year old daughter watches a lot of makeup tutorials on Youtube.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

This seems one of those topics where book learning may offer a good introduction. Followed by the advice of some friendly female aquaintances.

My crude understanding is that make up has two purposes: 1. hide the blemishes. 2. exaggerate the good features. The tricky part is defining blemishes and good features and then the practical skills required.

I'd search for some introductory books on the subject.

Makeup for the stage uses simplification and exaggeration for dramatic effect seen from a distance.