Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me pick tripod for 8x10 plaubel

loujon

Re: Help me pick tripod for 8x10 plaubel

Quote Originally Posted by ViktorK View Post
    10 kg is with lens,.....
    ...........they should have better vibration dampening and offer geared column

These things don't go together well. 10kg camera + raised geared center column = shaky camera from the cantilever effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ViktorK View Post
    10 kg is with lens, however yes it is without any other stuff like filmholders and so on. Thanks, i will give it a moment to think about but these berlebachs seem to be better option than regular carbon fiber tripods / they should have better vibration dampening and offer geared column
    Let me explain it a different way. Up till early 2015 I was the Product and Sales Manager for Berelbach in the USA. We distributed them for a decade or so.
    From experience, representing Berelbach, Linhof and Giottos tripods for decades, the Report is not suitable for your camera.
    One of the penalties of shooting 810 is weight. The cameras are heavier, the lenses are heavier and the tripods and heads are heavier. Look at the Uni!

Been there done this. Used a big GItzo with geared center column with a Sinar C or P outdoors, stability IS an issue once the center column is geared up a few inches. Beyond the center column stability problem the telescopic legs would stick and get covered with the great out doors causing a host of problems. Since then, went to a modified Dutch Hill Surveyors tripod no center column with film-cine-video leveling bowl and Sinar pan-tilt head. This is nice stable combo and the fiberglass three section legs do not stick, jam or have problems with the great out doors sticking to the legs.

IMO, surveyors tripods of the correct variety and properly modified are excellent in many ways.

What is not often appreciated camera weight is NOT the problem, stability of the camera-lens on the tripod under wind, un-even terrain and more IS the problem. Be ready for the tripod to take a beating if used out doors, this is the way it will be. Problem is not so bad with wide angle to normal_ish lenses, if longer focal length lenses are to be used that is when the real fun and struggle with camera support stability begins.

Wood holds up remarkably well under these conditions, fiber glass holds up good, aluminum can cause serious problems if dented or impaled with deep scratches, carbon fiber is not worth the cost. Both wood and fiber glass offer nice vibration damping qualities aluminum does not.

Difficulty with many folks who get into 8x10 with limited previous LF experience, they often want the lowest weight image making package without fully realizing the limitations and problems they will impose upon themselves under actual outdoor image making conditions. Beyond the camera, tripod, what about loaded film holder storage and all those required bits to make images with a LF camera?

Do a LFF search on this topic as it has been discussed more than once before.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I will drop out of this thread only after offering my two-bits, with respect. For reasons of stability I do not like centre columns, nor geared heads or rises, and certainly not ball heads. Frankly, my imagination cannot find a rationale for any of them for LF. Sorry about that. I post this to encourage alternate opinions. I'm not stuck yet!

I use a Zone VI lightweight wooden in the field, with a Plaubel head. It will hold your 8x10 Plaubel solidly.

I know you are asking about outside, but consider the Plaubel Camera Stand for inside studio use. I bought this one for $100 US. Quite a luxury Both sides have Peco Profia Heads on them (along with Plaubel Makiflexes)

DSC05778 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 21-Jun-2018 at 16:34.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Been there done this. Used a big GItzo with geared center column with a Sinar C or P outdoors, stability IS an issue once the center column is geared up a few inches. Beyond the center column stability problem the telescopic legs would stick and get covered with the great out doors causing a host of problems. Since then, went to a modified Dutch Hill Surveyors tripod no center column with film-cine-video leveling bowl and Sinar pan-tilt head. This is nice stable combo and the fiberglass three section legs do not stick, jam or have problems with the great out doors sticking to the legs.

IMO, surveyors tripods of the correct variety and properly modified are excellent in many ways.

What is not often appreciated camera weight is NOT the problem, stability of the camera-lens on the tripod under wind, un-even terrain and more IS the problem. Be ready for the tripod to take a beating if used out doors, this is the way it will be. Problem is not so bad with wide angle to normal_ish lenses, if longer focal length lenses are to be used that is when the real fun and struggle with camera support stability begins.

Wood holds up remarkably well under these conditions, fiber glass holds up good, aluminum can cause serious problems if dented or impaled with deep scratches, carbon fiber is not worth the cost. Both wood and fiber glass offer nice vibration damping qualities aluminum does not.

Difficulty with many folks who get into 8x10 with limited previous LF experience, they often want the lowest weight image making package without fully realizing the limitations and problems they will impose upon themselves under actual outdoor image making conditions. Beyond the camera, tripod, what about loaded film holder storage and all those required bits to make images with a LF camera?

Do a LFF search on this topic as it has been discussed more than once before.

Bernice
    Back in the late 80s or early 90s I received a call from the owner of Questar telescopes in New Hope that they needed a tripod that they could sell for their 7” scope. So I put the Linhof tripods that they were interested in a drove down to their factory.
    They had several different brands and types of tripods that they were interested in and invited me to watch their test.
    They set up several of the 7” scopes on tripods on a concrete pad that they had outside the factory area. They also had an absolutely huge engineer who easily weighed over 300 pounds!
    After the scopes were set up the owner would look through one and have that engineer jump up and down next to the tripod. The owner would then time how long it took for the vibration to settle out of the system.
    We ended up winning the test and started supplying Questar with both the Linhof Heavy Duty Pro tripod and the Linhof ProfiPort tripod.
    Both had less vibration transmitted to the eyepiece then the wooden tripods, the Gitzo tripods and the Manfrotto (Bogen back then) tripods that they had been testing!

Unlike most all other tripod manufacturers Linhof also made cameras, including extremely heavy 810 cameras!
    They manufactured tripods from aircraft aluminum that easily controlled vibration and extreme handling!

My favorite tripod, at least for indoor use, is the Linhof "Professional Aluminum Twin Shank" tripod, noted SRP in the '60's vintage Linhof catalog I have. It has a Kardan Pan/Tilt II head. This thing is a beast and will easily hold anything I have to put on it, including up to 12x20 and 14x17. Typically, however, it supports my 8x10 Sinar Norma. The down sides to this tripod are its weight and the fact that it is not very weather resistant. In fact, this is my "inside" tripod, serving essentially as a studio stand.

The other tripod I use for the Sinar is a Gitzo G1548, Mk II. A Sinar Pan/Tilt head fits very neatly on top of the crown and the ensemble is very effective while still relatively lightweight.

While I generally favor a Ries tripod for LF work, the Ries does not lend itself well to a monorail 8x10 camera. The Gitzo G1548 Mk II I purchased used on either this forum or APUG. I don't know its current equivalent. It handles weather reasonably well and is fairly easy to set up/strike. And it does support the Norma well, even at extensions with accessories.

FWIW, 2¢ maybe...

My FOBA C40 was designed by Sinar to be part of the 8x10 Norma system. I can't imagine anything more solid than this one. And it is affordable. Shown with one of my 8x10 Normas. Yes it is quite heavy.

Put a Plaubel Head on it, and it's a Plaubel

001 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 21-Jun-2018 at 16:32.

― Mark Twain

Wow. Look at this FOBA C40. Completely restored including powder coated legs. A thing of beauty for a Norma or Plaubel user.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Fob...gAAOSwO9RbCL4U
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 23-Jun-2018 at 06:10.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Wow. Look at this FOBA C40. Completely restored including power coated legs. A thing of beauty for a Norma or Plaubel user.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Fob...gAAOSwO9RbCL4U
    Standard 3/8” tripod thread. Fits most heads and cameras.