Thread: Availability of LF transparency film

Availability of LF transparency film

I don't mean to start an "OMG, film is gone" thread here, but I am curious what other LF photographers are doing or thoughts regarding availability (or not) of LF transparency film. For example, I just heard from my contact in Japan that Fuji Velvia 50 in sheet sizes is on the way out. A quick look at B&H quickly reveals that Fuji is the only manufacturer of LF transparency film out there; and, they seem to be getting out of the film business.

Thoughts? Are you buying what you can and freezing it? I've been a LF B&W photographer for nearly my entire adult life and just recently started shooting color. How long will transparency film last in a freezer?

Re: Availability of LF transparency film

The only LF color transparency films are Velvia and Provia. Buy it and shoot it before it is gone. Are you going to process it yourself? Do you have a scanner?

I occasionally see expired (but refrigerated) Fuji 64T 4x5 QuickLoad film from local sellers, boxes and individual sheets, for very low prices.

Being tungsten film, it seems to see less demand. Yet it's a fantastic landscape film when combined with an 85c filter. Many of my landscape images here use this film.

Recently I posted a WTB on CL for 64T and got three replies.

This might be a clever option if you have a QuickLoad holder. They're going for a whopping $7 these days at KEH (in EX condition)!

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    The only LF color transparency films are Velvia and Provia. Buy it and shoot it before it is gone. Are you going to process it yourself? Do you have a scanner?
    I could process it on my Jobo, but, so far, I've sent it out. I have a flatbed scanner that I use for work prints, but send out for a drum scan, if it's something really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I occasionally see expired (but refrigerated) Fuji 64T 4x5 film from local sellers, boxes and individual sheets, for very low prices.

Being tungsten film, it seems to see less demand. Yet it's a fantastic landscape film when combined with an 85c filter. Many of my landscape images here use this film.

Recently I posted a WTB on CL for 64T and got three replies.

This might be a clever option if you have a QuickLoad holder. They're going for a whopping $7 these days at KEH (in EX condition)!
    I do have a QuickLoad holder from my Acros 100 days. I'll keep an eye out for the 64T. Thanks for the suggestion.