Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Sectional Frames and Acrylic for Temporary Display

Re: Cheapest Sectional Frames and Acrylic for Temporary Display

I would love to display work "naked," especially as I love the look of matte and semi-matte papers. This surface gets lost behind glass/acrylic.

I was researching acrylic in this instance because I had a large piece that I was worried would be too heavy with glass. Glass is cheaper in smaller pre-cut sizes and moving forward I am going to buy small standard sizes at Home Depot. They are cheaper than Hobby Lobby. Acrylic is more expensive at those same sizes but larger sheets are IMO necessary for the weight. I learned how to score/break them this week and it's not terribly hard. I will keep looking for the cheapest source for large sheets shipped to my home. Home Depot had a limited selection. Luckily they had one 36x48 piece that had a corner broken off that they sold me really cheaply. I needed a 30x25 piece so the 24x48 size didn't cut it, but that size was good for two 20x24 pieces.

Side-note: 20x24 used to be a standard frame size and I use it a lot, framing ~16x20 prints from 4x5. Apparently not so anymore. Hobby Lobby had exactly one 20x24 frame and Home Depot did not sell precut glass/acrylic at that size. Everything is now 18x24. My guess is due to the preponderance of DSLR cameras and their 3:2 aspect ratio. I do in fact use 18x24 when enlarging 6x9 images up to ~13x19.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I explained that in the first post. I am using "good enough" framing supplies and then the buyer can re-frame with their choice of materials to match their decor, if they want.

Realistically I see no difference in the cheapest sectional frames I have used and the "real" Nielsen ones, except a small difference in weight and maybe a slight difference in rigidity when it doesn't have anything in it - irrelevant once it's on the wall with work installed.

I have used Hobby Lobby sectionals and cheap window glass for pieces that were displayed in national exhibitions and no one has complained. If I were to use top-quality frames and Museum glass for everything I have displayed I would be homeless begging on the street. And it doesn't change the quality of the work IMO.

An update for anyone who is similarly looking for efficient and cheapish framing materials for large shows. I am currently working on a large exhibition that will have over 60 framed pieces, most of which are 16x20 and larger, so it was a necessity for me.

I have found these sectional frame pieces to be high quality and look great:

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/basic...onal-frame-kit

They are pretty much "always" on 65% discount. That's just the normal price. I'm not sure if they ever get cheaper. I've noticed in the last few years that places that used to run specials basically no longer do that - probably supply chain / pandemic issues increasing base cost.

For acrylic I have started to buy bulk 0.06" pieces from Amazon. These are the 20x24 ones I've just purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKH2KS23/

The same shop has a variety of sizes and bulk packs. These acrylics can be cut down as needed - for instance, cutting the above down to 18x24. For larger sizes I use Lowes or Home Depot acrylic and score/snap to size, but these are more expensive per sq. inch. However I am happy to be able to quickly get these if needed. Also, I have found that Lowes has the best prices on pre-cut glass. If you are into glass, they have a lot of standard sizes and can cut to size for you, unlike Home Depot.

Total price for a single 20x24 frame is about $33.50.

I used to get standard size wooden frames from Hobby Lobby, but just in the last couple of months they seem to have overhauled their frame lineup and now all the wooden frames are made out of plastic. Not only do they feel crappy, they are much more prone to scratches and dents from what I've seen. I bought a dozen frames last week and when I removed the protective plastic around it many of them were scratched and dented. But, for really common and small (8x10 through about 14x18) sizes, the prices are great and the thin plain frames match up well with sectionals. I think some of the smaller frames are still some kind of wood.

However, some Hobby Lobby stores here have really phenomenal deals on clearance custom frames - usually in oddball sizes but if you use something similar they can be excellent. I just got a huge ~44 x 36 frame for $20. So it may be worth stopping by once a month or so and framing some pieces to specific sizes to match.

I haven't checked sizes lately, but Ikea is a good source for cheap frames.

Agree

Been using them for years

I also check Good Will for huge frames

The Naked Man recently showed how cheap Painter Frames are great for window screen wet print dryers.

I need to make better

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...%2Dframe%2Dkit
    Tin Can

I recently went to a couple of thrift stores, including Goodwill, to see what I could find. I ended up not finding anything that I could use, but of course YMMV and I may continue to pop by every once in a while to check. Gotta remember to pack my little measuring tape to double-check what size they are!

I’ve purchased chops from frame destination in Dallas and lites from a local glass wholesale supplier. You need a sales tax number to buy from a wholesaler though. There are also clip frames that can be ordered online that come with glass or plastic. Just search clip frames. They are quite reasonable.

Thrift stores are sad relics of past times

I was a big thrifter hitting Chicago antiques row, Charity warehouses, Fabric ends in buildings easy to get lost in

Never selling, furnished my homes with only old stuff

I am sitting in my HS desk chair, best for my back

Frames were everywhere with art in them, cut it out at home or not

I always buy old houses, I think my latest is oldest locally, loved my Sears Kit Home

However most use online sales now with shipping killing the the fun

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I recently went to a couple of thrift stores, including Goodwill, to see what I could find. I ended up not finding anything that I could use, but of course YMMV and I may continue to pop by every once in a while to check. Gotta remember to pack my little measuring tape to double-check what size they are!
    Tin Can

Robert Bowring

I used to use Contemporary Frame Co. but it looks like they are no longer around. It is too bad because they had a large selection at good prices. I have had good luck lately at Goodwill. I just bought a brand new in-the-box 16x20 metal frame with the glass for $6.99. I have found some frames that were not the color I was looking for but they are easy to paint.

Drew Wiley

A lot of chop services don't cut the metal profiles consistently square, but sometimes skewed. So I have always done my own cutting instead, using various Nielsen profiles purchased in 10 ft long bundles wholesale. But to do that right takes a bit of an equipment investment. I also started making my own hardwood mouldings when it got so difficult to obtain straight (unwarped) lengths shipped in. So it just depends on if you enjoy that kind of shop work or not.

And in terms of hobby store pricing, I need stronger frame sections, and distinctly thicker plexiglas than those kinds of outlets offer. Sadly, all three of our big local framing supply wholesalers shut down due to urban "redevelopment", i.e., level the warehouses and put big expensive condos in their place. I've been coasting on my own reserve inventory ever since.