Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5X4 Neg, from a digital file

Re: 5X4 Neg, from a digital file

Sorry to ask, but why did you have a digital negative made when you are unable to print it? Are you asking what to do with this negative until you are able to access a darkroom? If so, in the meantime, you might be able to print it as a cyanotype, kallitype, Van dyke... but that depends on the density range.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    There are basically about three or four ways to go about this IMO.

One if you are thinking of making silver contact prints then an inkjet neg contacted to matt paper will work.
    If you are thinking of making silver enlarged prints then you need to get a LVT image made, I can forward vendor in NY if you wish
    If you are thinking of making alternative prints in contact then inkjet negs are fine.

At my shop we make silver enlarged negatives from digital files and then contact them to fibre base paper... All dodging , burning, contrast control etc done in PS. ( this is for show work only as the setup to do this
    is quite extreme.

Also I print directly from digital files to silver paper up to 30 x72 inches but this takes all the work out of your hands.

Bob
    Hi Bob,
    And thanks, (Along wih others) for your response. Please tell me, what, is an "LTV".
    Geoff.
    Ps: I have spent many, many hours, "Dodging, and Burning" my enlargments, in the past. This, to me, is a great "Bore", let alone, the wasted material!
    The ease, and effectiveness, of correcting the image in PS, is a great time, and material, saving.

Hi Andrew,
    This, was a "Test", to see the quality of the finished result. Also, I just hate the "Feel" and "Finish", of Inkjet paper.
    Thanks,... Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Incamera View Post
    Hi Bob,
    And thanks, (Along wih others) for your response. Please tell me, what, is an "LTV".
    Geoff.
    Ps: I have spent many, many hours, "Dodging, and Burning" my enlargments, in the past. This, to me, is a great "Bore", let alone, the wasted material!
    The ease, and effectiveness, of correcting the image in PS, is a great time, and material, saving.
    www.alternativephotoservices.com is my web site , on there is a section about digital negatives and fibre prints from digital files that I do..

LVT recorder was developed in the early 90's to accommodate complicated photo merges, this device would output on black and white film or colour negative, or colour transparency. This device can accept digital data and convert it to density on film.

this unit went out of favour when the Lambda's , Lightjets, and Chromiras came on line.... but artists like Salgado for example who moved to digital but still wanted to make enlarger prints on paper of their choice used them and actually still do .. The LVT became an option again, problem with this technology like some of us who have been at it for awhile its getting old, parts are hard to find and there is no NEW lvt, as they are not making NEW Lambdas.

History has a way of repeating itself, Today I am using photocomp film stripping methods and equipment that I used in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Incamera View Post
    Hi Andrew,
    This, was a "Test", to see the quality of the finished result. Also, I just hate the "Feel" and "Finish", of Inkjet paper.
    Thanks,... Geoff.
    Thanks.

I was also told by one of his gallery workers, that some of Clyde Butcher's new work from a digital camera is being burnt via LVT so he can still make silver gelatin prints from the photographs. It's a very interesting solution - but it's unfortunate that it might be only available until the machines break down.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome