Thread: Note from AGallery in NO

Note from AGallery in NO

(This is one of the great photgraphy galleries in the US - Ed)

Just got out last night. I could have stayed , my supplies would have lasted for seven more days

BUt, the fires have started.

The reports of looting downtown are exaggerated. Yes, they broke into the grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations, for food, etc. Canal street had a few hours of thugs doing sports shops, but all other shops and the ENTIRE FRench Quarter is safe and untouched. The storm did glass and roof damage and trees UPTOWN> Just needs to be swept. Looks LESS dirty than a typical Mardi Gras day.

I was never threatened. 99.9% of our people are heroic, stoic, and human beings of great quality.

THE FLOOD did NOT get into the Fr. QTR> and along the river to AUDUBON PARK>

I stayed and helped and photographed and bicycled these areas every day.

NO shooters, some idiots, but everyone doing the best to get along and survive. Other flooded areas, it is very desperate and there are some battles going on, but very isolated.

From Monday to late yesterday there were NO military, red cross, fema, or anyone with supplies DOWNTOWN>

Even the N.O. Police and Fire Dept were largely absent.

I stayed in the Qtr at A Gallery. The building and contents is presently fine.

I will be going back soon to help the other people

The Amazing people of NEw Orleans will survive and rebuild.

The media stayed on Canal Street and are missing the real story.

Unfortunately, the "looting" story is all they had downtown and its repetitous playing of that footage has setback recovery. IT FALSELY scared off the rescuers, I guess.

Too many rumors reported without eyewitness verification.

Bad business, needs to change.

Please spread the word.

Bush and his people have been bad to us. Every hour matters to the remaining people

THe surrrounding region is overwhelmed with recovery. Baton Rouge has 200,000 people to help

LSU is a triage center.

EVERYONE is pitching in.

The entire situation is complex and difficult for everyone. Many shortages , gasoline especially.

BY the way, Since early Tuesday , access into New Orleans via the downtown Miss. River Bridge has been clear to Baton Rouge. Everyone else got in that way, why not the military?

Four hours away by CAR is Fort Polk, one of the largest bases around.

Bring the boys home, especially the National Guard.

New Orleans needs your love and positive thoughts.

Email and spread the word. Contact your leadership in Washington and keep the pressure on.

Especially today and tomorrow.

Remember that these people are the heart and soul of the New Orleans everyone loves.

See you soon

Joshua

--

Joshua

Living and Learning and

Listening

Plant a Tree

Remember CMP

A Gallery For Fine Photography

Fine Photos, Inc.

www.agallery.com

Note from AGallery in NO

Ditto that! We've been going thru the house, collecting stuff - clothes, kitchen items, toys, even a bike that isn't in the best shape in the world but it'll get somebody to work for awhile. I would love to know where to send the stuff directly so that the Red Cross (or some other such charity) doesn't have to deal with storage and the cost of getting it to those in need. So please, let me know and I'll start shipping ASAP. Thanks much!

Note from AGallery in NO

Paul has put together some info:

http://www.butzi.net/katrina.htm

The Red Cross and the Salvation Army are the best bets, but many churches are collecting goods - it is better to find a local organization that is collecting and who has arrangements with someone for transport - trying to send things directly will just complicate local transportation.

Note from AGallery in NO

Thanks for the insight and for being there, Joshua.

Stupid Question from me - I trust your net-wisdom. One of my colleagues' whole family lived in NO and they lost about everything. We are collecting resources to help her return to support her family, and probably bring them back. She won't be leaving until the rescue efforts say's it's okay so that she doesn't become part of the problem.

She has only a tiny car and bicycle. I gave her my 4x4 Suburban w/full tow package. It has been in storage, fully maintained for years since we left the farm. I took it on the highway to be sure. AOK. BUT maybe it was a stupid thing to do - 13mpg highway, 8mpg towing a ton. We are donating a grand for gas. I don't want to get her into trouble. The question is: Will there be gas for her to purchase? Is there anything else I overlooked?

Note from AGallery in NO

There will not be gas in NO for a while, but then you are not supposed to go back yet. We ran low in Baton Rouge over the weekend, but the stations seem to be restocked today. Given that the streets will have debris in them for a while down there, the suburban might not be a bad idea, and it makes hauling and pulling others out of the muck easier. Beside, isn't the offical car of LA?:-)