Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bend NP Chisos Mtns

Big Bend NP Chisos Mtns

I'm going out to the Chisos Mtns in two weeks to shoot some 4X5 and 120. I have some fairly fresh Kodak E100VS in 4X5 and I'm wondering if it has enough range to handle the light down there, assuming I do my job at metering and composition. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kenny

Re: Big Bend NP Chisos Mtns

I shoot down there every year but only in the winter and only black and white. A single scene can easily contain pure black shadows to very light objects. It's going to be very hot there although probably 10-15° cooler in the Chisos. I envy you but can't offer much help with your film. Good luck and stay safe!
    Terry in Kalamazoo

Quote Originally Posted by dentkimterry View Post
    I shoot down there every year but only in the winter and only black and white. A single scene can easily contain pure black shadows to very light objects. It's going to be very hot there although probably 10-15° cooler in the Chisos. I envy you but can't offer much help with your film. Good luck and stay safe!
    Terry in Kalamazoo
    Thank you, Terry. Going now is kind of an accident; was surprised at finding 'room at the inn' in mid-June. I will make the best of it. Probably try to shoot early and late...just too stinking hot right now.

I've never used E100VS, but it probably does not have less range than Velvia 50. Here are a couple of images from Big Bend on Velvia 50, taken a few years ago in May. If you are staying at the lodge/motel in the Chisos, the view of the "Window" (right image) will be just outside your back door. Take care with metering and you should be fine.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Balanced_Rock_Big_Bend_NP_2011_May copy.jpg   The_Window_Big_Bend_NP_2012_May copy.jpg  

Thanks, Bob and I believe you're right on the E100 vs Velvia. I only hope the sky will provide me something approaching your lovely vista of The Window. I'm planning to concentrate on early and late with LF and try some 120 in a more toteable camera for some short hikes.

Kenny

I’ve spent some time in the Big Bend, the subject of my first book, and one-person exhibit at the Museum of the Big Bend. In the Chisos early and late, I would choose a film with more range. That being said, I’m all for “working with what you have.” You will create some dramatic images, metering for highlights with E100VS.

The question that comes to mind is: what is your intent? Will you scan? Print? ...or just enjoy those amazing transparencies. I always felt that film like Velvia looked like jewelry on the light table. Just enjoy this amazing place, and shoot what film you have!

The other advantage of your E100VS is that in sun-drenched scenes, even mid-day, is that it will add richness and contrast. Don’t shy away from the subtlety of the amazing Chihuahuan Desert.

PS: My Border Patrol and NPS friends advise don’t be down by the Rio Grande after dark, and don’t camp at remote sites near the river. It’s too dangerous after the sun goes down.

Paul Chaplo
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Paul, thanks for the details. I'm booked at the Chisos Mtns Lodge for two nites. Not nearly enough time but I can, and will, go back. It's not as far as, say, Zion or Yosemite.

Was amazed that I got that in mid-June. Anyway, the intent is purely enjoyment. I'm an amateur large format shooter who's fallen in love with slide film after seeing how relatively easy it is to do my own developing. And, yes, seeing them on a light table is magical! **IF** I'm lucky enough to get some decent skies, I may print some for my own enjoyment, scanning them first on my Epson V700 and printing with Photoshop.

I'll probably take some Portra just because I have it.

Kenny,

For pure enjoyment, the saturate trans film will rock! It will be so dramatic!!

Yes, about Portra, I have to remind myself that Joel Meyerowitz shot “Cape Light” on color negative film. With a V700, you have the world by the *ss

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B63840B7-241D-47F5-86E1-440BE1ED0B5B.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	179334

Being based at the lodge in the basin, spectacular beauty surrounds you on all sides. Just explore around you and hike as you abilities allow.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by kenj8246 View Post
    Paul, thanks for the details. I'm booked at the Chisos Mtns Lodge for two nites. Not nearly enough time but I can, and will, go back. It's not as far as, say, Zion or Yosemite.

Was amazed that I got that in mid-June. Anyway, the intent is purely enjoyment. I'm an amateur large format shooter who's fallen in love with slide film after seeing how relatively easy it is to do my own developing. And, yes, seeing them on a light table is magical! **IF** I'm lucky enough to get some decent skies, I may print some for my own enjoyment, scanning them first on my Epson V700 and printing with Photoshop.

I'll probably take some Portra just because I have it.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Drew Wiley

Cape Light was shot of old-school Vericolor L. Even Portra 160 is much more cleanly saturated, and Ektar color neg film way more saturated and contrasty.
    E100VS is roughly in the same contrast league as Fuji Provia, while Velvia is distinctly more contrasty, and hence trickier to expose meaningfully. I have
    used most of these in the desert, but found the extremes of low and high contrast the least versatile films for me personally. If you want to study very low
    contrast, low-saturation Vericolor work in the desert, look at Misrach's southern Calif. images. E100VS basically equates to E100G with an 81A warming filter
    over the lens (or actually E100S, which came out around the same time). I preferred E100G itself for the lack of that inherent bias.

I have plenty of E100G in120 format.